SOLVED Multiple File Associations

Reaction score
So, sometimes I want to peruse a file with Firefox and other times with Internet Explorer. I seem to remember a program that would let me choose which program to open a file with; in this example I would choose which program to open an .htm file with.

I just can't remember what program it is! Can anyone help me with this? (Running Win 7 x64; 8 GB RAM, etc.).

Thanks in advance for your help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You honestly want to be forced to chose every time you click on an .htm or .html link? I'm not aware of a program to do that.

The way W7 is set up if you left-click (or double-click depending on your settings) on the link it will open using your default program. If you want to open it with a different program then instead you should RIGHT-click and then in the context menu that appears select "open with >" and then it will give you all your browsers to choose from.

Reaction score
I see it as making a choice, not being forced. About half the time I need to use Internet Explorer (to respond to Microsoft sites), and the other half of the time I use Firefox (my default browser).

Looking for a one-click solution is all. Click, interface opens, click, I select which browser opens. Thats all. No lists to go through, no select from Explorer folders, just a single click to select which browser will open that file.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If windows 7 does not have a file association for a particular extension then it will ask you to choose the program, which may be what you are referring to, however, once you select a program and check that box "use this program as the default" I don't know of a way to set it back to not having an association. So from then on it seems your choice is change it or leave it, not clear it out. You might be able to remove it from the registry but I don't need such a thing and don't want to risk my installation to test it.

NOTE: I visit Microsoft sites all the time using Firefox.

Reaction score
@Core: Close, but....On my system a right-click brings up a process that requires multiple clicks and selections in order to select which program will be used.

And in my email client ('wrapper') its even worse. Right-clicking a link brings up a different process, where I have to choose between default browser or Copy this link, which I then have to cut-and-paste into the browser I select separately....

What I'm looking for is a one-click solution. Click, interface opens, click, I select which browser opens. Thats all. No lists to go through, no selecting from Explorer folders, no drilling down 4 levels, just a single click to select which browser will open that file to that specific location on that specific page.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I haven't tried that extension, because all Microsoft sites open up just fine for me in Firefox. But on its homepage, it says all you need to do is one right-click and select Internet Explorer. I don't know why you're getting a whole process of clicks and selections.

Reaction score
First, yes, Microsoft sites open fine in Firefox, but because of the do not allow extensions I have, I can't sign-in to any Microsoft sites from Firefox, which in turn drastically limits what I can do. And I'm very reluctant to remove my ad-blocking software from Firefox.

Secondly, when I right-click on a file, say with an .htm extension, I get a whole list of options, one of which is Open with..., which in turn opens a dialog box where both Firefox and IE are listed.

For other file types, its more complicated. Take for example .ini or .txt files: right-click, then Open with...then what opens is a dialog box offering Notepad, or choose default programs, which in turn opens another dialog box which offers Notepad and "Other programs", which if I choose "browse", opens Windows Explorer, which I then have to navigate to the needed program (at least 2 levels down), then select the executable file, then back out to the Open with dialog again, then.... Its a quite complicated, time consuming process.

And when I right-click on a link, I'm only offered my default browser (Firefox) or Copy link. So I Copy the link location, then open IE, then delete the home page address, then paste the copied link, then press enter....And then the page finally opens in IE.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
It isn't the solution you're looking for, but you can drag files onto the desktop shortcut and it will open them with that specific program, same goes for the quicklaunch bar shortcuts or pinned program links on the start menu.

Some programs like Gmail Notifier let you chose internally which browser to use regardless of the system default, but other than that I'm not sure what to suggest.
It sounds like what you want is a program that will start each time you click a link and ask you directly to select the browser to use, like this one http://lifehacker.com/5475643/choose-wisely-lets-you-select-your-default-browser-on-a-per+link-basis Unfortunately that's for OS X, but someone's likely made a Windows version somewhere.

Reaction score
@Kougar: Thank you for responding. The only problem with dragging the file link to the quicklaunch bar (Taskbar) is that it pins the link to the Taskbar as well. I think I need to wait for someone to make a Windows version of the Mac OS program. Big Sigh!

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
It makes a shortcut if you drag it between the icons... Hover it over the icon specifically and the -> move arrow will change to a + Open with sign instead. I use a notepad shortcut on my quicklaunch area for this reason as it's faster than using the open-with context menus.

Took a little work but I did find this, for Windows http://www.mytechguide.org/281/brow...ility-choose-what-browser-for-any-given-task/

Reaction score
@Kougar: Thank you very much for finding this. I found another one at DonationCoder called Browser Tray Switch (here: http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/browsertray/index.html).

This sits in my System Tray and allows me to 'pre-select' which browser to open a link in. For my needs, this works just fine. Its a matter of personal preference, eitherr one works equally well. Again though, my thanks to you for your effort in finding Browser Chooser.

Last edited:

Ask a Question