SOLVED Failure configuring Windows updates, now no internet

Reaction score
I was downloading and installing the latest updates for Windows 7 SP1 on my HP Pavilion a6599f desktop computer yesterday. After it all said it was downloaded and installed I shut the computer off for the night. When I turned it on this morning it did this whole "installing updates" thing and then suddenly I got a message that said "Failure Configuring Windows updates, Reverting" something I don't remember what. The computer seemed to start OK but I suddenly have absolutely no internet on it. The three devices listed under Network Adapter in my Device Manager all say the device is working properly but still no internet of any kind. If I go to the Network and Sharing Center and try to connect to a network there is no connection available.Troubleshooting the connection can't identify the problem. I can't do a System Restore because that isn't working either. Now I know I had the internet on my desktop before all this update crap started. I'm doing this now on my laptop (which is obviously still connected to the missing internet) and would like to know if there is anyone who can help me get my internet back on the desktop. After using a 20" monitor with the desktop this little Dell Latitude D630 is a real eye strain!

Any help for this computer illiterate senior would be extremely welcome.

Reaction score
I'd scan the system drive for errors with windows (full scan including bad sectors), if that runs successfully test the computer again, if still not working then try this command on a windows command prompt (ran as administrator):
netsh winsock reset

restart your computer and test

I'm not sure if you were adding updates over SP1, or just installing SP1, but either way if the above doesn't work you might try to download SP1 and copy it to the broken computer with a pen drive.
You can download it from microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842
download only the file windows6.1-KB976932-XXX.exe that matches the broken computer's platform (windows, right click computer, properties, look for "system type")

Reaction score
Dan, thanks for your reply but since February, 2016 when this was posted I have replaced the hard drive and installed a new copy of Windows 7 on it. Haven't had any problems since then. The problem came down to several bad sectors on the old hard drive and they were interfering with the correct running of the operating system. Thanks again!

Ask a Question