Windows back up failing

Reaction score
Hi , each time my laptop goes to do a ac up, it comes back with a message "Windows Backup failed to get exclusive lock on EFI system partition (ESP). Access is denied Retry the operation

Can anyone help me with this?
thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
From what I read this error has to do with a program running on your system that has a lock on the drive (or maybe just some file/folder I'm not exactly clear). What I read on the Microsoft forum said it could even be your anti-virus software locking the backup. The recommendation was to start with only Windows programs and Services (see HERE) and then try Windows Backup.

From what I have seen Windows Back-up has numerous problems. In my case a few weeks it worked fine and the next week it ran for over 12 hours without completing, I deleted the files and it worked once then back to not finishing, so I gave up on it and I back up my data a different way. If you have a Seagate or Western Digital Hard drive consider trying their free backup software or maybe try Macrium Reflect Free (see Backup & Recovery in our Freeware Database)

Ask a Question