Expanding a partition. In XP

Reaction score
When I cloned my old 32gig HDD across to my new 500Gig drive it all worked fine except for the fact it still has a 32 gig partition with the operating system and the rest is unallocated.
XP does not seem to have the same facility of extending a partition with disk manager the way I believe 7 does.
I've used Gparted lots of times to format and partition a drive but never tried enlarging a drive that the operating system is on.
Suggestions please as to the steps I should do to achieve this. | don't want to trash the O/S as it's just to keep me going till I've got all my new bits ready but a bit more space since I've got it to use would be handy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey...

GParted will do well for you.

To resize OS partitions, I use Acronis Disk Director Suite but ya....GParted will make it happen without issue too.

Reaction score
Thanks,
So just to clarify, I'll reboot into Gparted ( so O/S is not running/loaded) and I can extended the partition that has the O/S on it and not trash the O/S

Reaction score
Is that a freebie one?
Yes it is. :)

And listed in our Free Software Database. There maybe other types of free software listed that you would be interested in. Or perhaps you know of some excellent suggestions you would like to submit to the database.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I just got through using Partition Wizard, it's installable on your system, and you can boot from a disc as well. I've been a loyal GParted user for a while now, but after using Partition Wizard, I threw my GParted disc in the trash.

You can actually see your progress with Partition Wizard, too. As well as your data being protected while moving your partitions around. Try it out and see for yourself.

Cat

Ask a Question