enable "clear type" for office 2007

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm struggle with the following problem:

I have disabled the "Clear Type" feature under control panel/display/"adjust clear type text" That disables the clear type feature everywhere; like it should.
But is there a trick to enable it again only in office 2007 (work/excel/outlook) by adding a registry entry or something? These applications look better with cleartype on my screen...

So basically: cleartype off everywhere, except for office 2007

Any ideas?
Kind regards,
Selwy

Reaction score
I found out that the actual problem isn't office in this case but the fonts that work with the clear type function like calibri for instance. It seems like this font isn't used only in the office applications but also on other parts of the system. If you turn off "clear type", this fonts start to look really bad - at least on my old screen. And yes, it has definitely something to do with the screen you are using. I’m working with two huge displays on my workstation and clear type enabled looks good on the new on...

I think the only way to get rid of this problem is to replace all "native clear type fonts" with Arial or similar... (or buy a new LCD/LED screen :D )

Cheers,
Selwy

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
And yes, it has definitely something to do with the screen you are using.
I think there is some confusion here.

The old CRT type monitors use round fuzzy dots for pixels. That "fuzziness" was actually a good thing as it made the curves in curved letters appear "curved" to the human eye.

With LCD monitors, the pixels are little squares. And when you make a curve with the straight sides of a square, the result is jagged edges - which the human eye can detect - often uncomfortably.

So ClearType Tuner was developed to make the lines created by the little squares fuzzy to make curved letter appear sharper (to humans anyway) - as crazy as that sounds.

Note with Windows Vista, Microsoft introduced 6 new fonts designed specifically for LCD monitors. LED has nothing to do with this - that is just the backlighting technology used on some LCD monitors. The other LCD monitors use a CCFL and inverter. Those fonts are listed here: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypeFonts.mspx.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Glad you got it sorted out. Thank for the update.

Ask a Question