ei.cfg Channel - does it affect which keys are accepted

Reaction score
Hello,

I have reinstalled Windows several times on my computer with the official Digital River ISO (X17-58997) and every time I have encountered an issue where it accepts the product key on the CoA but doesn't activate it. When I open the window asking me to activate Windows and type the same key, it activates successfully. My question is: would editing the ei.cfg in the ISO and changing the channel from Retail to OEM fix it and activate Windows automatically during installation?

Reaction score
Windows may not be able to connect during installation, which is probably why you need to activate manually later. I don't think changing from Retail to OEM will solve this question. I've grown accustom to the installation doing this, and actually prefer to activate later.

Reaction score
My Windows 7 computers are connected to the internet via Ethernet cables and even when I have to use WiFi, it prompts me to connect before asking for the key.

Reaction score
All I know is, I never have had luck with activation during installation. I'm on a wired and wireless network myself. Others may have different mileage though, I'm only one person. Other than a possible inconvenience, it is nothing to worry about.

Ask a Question