Media Center Doesn't Play Certain Channels

Reaction score
Hauppage WinTV-HVR-1600 - drivers updated, receiving a DTV signal from an antenna.

WMC was working fine receiving all available channels until a recent storm. Afterwards, the computer wouldn't even boot. After a few steps I was able to start Win 7 normally again and all works fine except for WMC. I ran setup and all former channels are recognized BUT I can now no longer view channels 3-13. All other channels play fine. There is no signal strenth on those channels. I am at a complete loss. Any ideas? Hauppage WinTV-HVR-1600 - drivers updated, receiving a DTV signal from an antenna.

WMC was working fine receiving all available channels until a recent storm. Afterwards, the computer wouldn't even boot. After a few steps I was able to start Win 7 normally again and all works fine except for WMC. I ran setup and all former channels are recognized BUT I can now no longer view channels 3-13. All other channels play fine. There is no signal strenth on those channels. I am at a complete loss. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Try and reset up WMC again. Sometimes it takes a few attempts to get those channels back. I went through something similar a few years back and that worked for me.

The other thing to do would be turn off PC, unplug, remove TV card, boot up, and then after boot up repeat the process above and reinstall TV card and install latest driver again.

With the power outage, it could have damaged the TV card....

Reaction score
Try and reset up WMC again. Sometimes it takes a few attempts to get those channels back. I went through something similar a few years back and that worked for me.

The other thing to do would be turn off PC, unplug, remove TV card, boot up, and then after boot up repeat the process above and reinstall TV card and install latest driver again.

With the power outage, it could have damaged the TV card....

That is what I am thinking that maybe the storm fried the board. Removing and reinstalling might help. I have tried running setup a half dozen times - no luck. Strange all the other channels are fine.

Any other ideas out there???

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Back in the day when TVs had knobs the lower channels (2-13) were VHF as opposed to UHF. If you think of a set of rabbit ears the long straight antenna are VHF and the round loop is UHF. Perhaps part of your antenna or the wiring was damaged?

Cable boxes actually shift channels up about 50 physical channels so when you scan for channels you have to specify cable or antenna; if your scan was set to look for cable then it looked in the wrong range.

Ask a Question