Powercfg/Sleep Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I know why my PC doesn't go to sleep. I just installed a new sound card and using DTS Interactive/DTS Neo that keeps an audio stream open. Using Powercfg here' s the screen from the command prompt:

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 (PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_0034415A&REV_0
0\4&2e98101c&0&50F0)
An audio stream is currently in use.

AWAYMODE:
None.

C:\Windows\system32>

So I've researched the powercfg utility and this is something that can be overridden but I can't seem to get it to work. Here's the command I've given it:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /requestsoverride DRIVER Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1
System

C:\Windows\system32>

Am I missing something? I believe it should display the process that was overridden but I don't know enough about it.

I'm using Win 7 Ultimate and yes it went to sleep prior to the new sound card but there wasn't a audio stream open either. Any powercfg experts out there?

Ross

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Just a thought DogFather but did you run the cmd prompt as admin? If not you'll need to right click on cmd prompt and choose run as administrator then try the above.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Also, have you looked in Control Panel\Device Manager? Check the properties of the sound card and see if there is an option you can enable for the system to put the device to sleep.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. So, yes, I ran the script as administrator (it won't let you otherwise) and unfortunately there's no power management tab for the sound card in device manager. I ran the script to check the override request (powercfg /requestsoverride) and see the audio device listed which tells me the override was accepted but it doesn't appear to be willing to ignore the audio stream.

:confused:

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Everything I can find on this issue seems to indicate it is a known issue but has NOT been fixed.

The only workaround I saw was:
powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER "Realtek High Definition Audio" System
where Realtek High Definition Audio should be replaced with your driver name.

Sorry I have no better news.

This does seem to be driver related so I think you should complain to the card manufacturers support and see if more current drivers are available. They may even offer you some beta drivers to test.

Reaction score
Everything I can find on this issue seems to indicate it is a known issue but has NOT been fixed.

The only workaround I saw was:
powercfg -requestsoverride DRIVER "Realtek High Definition Audio" System
where Realtek High Definition Audio should be replaced with your driver name.

Sorry I have no better news.

This does seem to be driver related so I think you should complain to the card manufacturers support and see if more current drivers are available. They may even offer you some beta drivers to test.
The "workaround" has already been done but for some reason it is being ignored. I will reach out to the mfg. tech support and see what they know. As you've stated, I'm sure that it's driver related but I would think that the override would have worked since that's what it's intended to do.

Reaction score
Just an update. I finally got the override to work. I went to the Creative forums (found nothing on Auzentech forums) and someone was having the exact same issue (it wouldn't go to sleep on it's own using DDL or DTS Interactive). I believe the override worked after using quotes for the device/process/driver that was keeping it awake using powercfg override command. For those that need to use powercfg this is important info. Great Windows feature. Nice to learn something new but I could have done without the frustration.

Happy Holidays :)

Reaction score
hey dogfather, im having a similar problem with legacy kernel caller and im trying to override it. It says that it has it in the override section but doesnt seem to be having an effect?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This thread is almost two years old. I doubt Dogfather has any more info than what he said which is to use quotes, which, based on your other post, is apparently what you did.

If someone should return to this thread and have an idea to help runza, please post over in THIS thread, as I closing this old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question