Duplicate IP addresses

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There was a post, yesterday, concerning a member who tried to spam the site with two different nics.

I took note that Ian, tracked this by comparing IP addresses.
Is this a normal way of checking members. I ask, because in my houshold, there are three pesons sharing the same internet connection. Two of us are registered on this site.
My family member is disanchanted with another forum, which has recently become over endowed with facilities, which he does not need and slow the work down.

Is there likely to be a problem, if he begins regular posting here, using the same IP address?

Reaction score
Hi davehc

You have nothing to worry about as you are a known user. In fact if I find that someone is spamming from your known IP I would notify you of these issues and certainly would not consider banning your ID because of it.

It was the tactics of the two ID's as both of them was a single poster. Post a question with one ID. Then post the answer with the second ID. I had not even considered checking the IP addresses until Ian made his post. That was a very nice idea that Ian had. I might in the future check IP's myself. Once again, a well know member would not be banned and would be notified of the other ID.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Don't worry Dave :) The only reason I checked was because there was a one-post user asking an open ended question, then another one post user registering moments later to spam a site. I just thought it seemed that they were likely one at the same, so I checked the IPs to confirm it was spam.

It doesn't matter if 100 people had the same IP, it's just that in this case I checked if they matched to confirm it was a spammer. :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There was one hangup, which could occur in similar circumstances. On the other site, awards are made according to merit points and the like. In this case, it is obvious IP addresses are being used for the operation, rather than individual usernames. The award went to all three family members. Bit of a laugh really, as one of them is very young and other than playing small internet games, has no (computer) clue what she is doing!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Haha, that would have been amusing :D

Everything on this forum software uses usernames, so there's no need to worry if you have someone else using the same IP - everything will remain separate :)

Ask a Question