SOLVED Dual Boot: XP boots but Win 7 will not

Reaction score
I just recently upgraded my computer case and put everything back in and now my win 7 OS will not boot. I have Win 7 and Win XP on the same drive. Win XP works fine but I cannot get into Win 7 now. I have tried using the startup repair but it cannot fix the problem. I have attached some screen shot photo's of the screens I get when I try to boot and then also repair the startup file. I searched the problem signature and I see that it is a boot issue but I am saving files from the Win 7 My documents file right now before I do anything else . I tried using Easy BCD to attempt to fix the boot record from Win XP but that did not fix the issue.

Can anyone assist me with getting back into the drive?

John

Attachments

Reaction score
Download and install Visual BCD Editor.

Run "Dual-boot Repair" utility. Click "Automatic Repair" and confirm.

That would be all to make Windows 7 boot by default.

If Windows XP missing from boot-menu do this:
1. Start Visual BCD Editor
2. Right-click in left pane and select "Create missing Windows loaders".

Now your dual-boot Windows 7 and XP should be OK.

Reaction score
Visual BCD editor

I downloaded and installed the software. Right after I hit accept on the EULA I got a prompt stating " Windows BCD Editor does NOT run on systems below VISTA! There is no WMI BCD Provider."

Do I need to download an older version to get this to work only in XP?

John

Reaction score
Visual BCD Editor DOES NOT run in systems before Vista.

You run "Dual-boot Repair" - "Automatic Repair" - so you will boot to WINDOWS 7 next time by default.

There is no meaning in manipulating BCD if you don't have Vista/W7/W8.

XP uses boot.ini.
Win 7 uses BCD.
BCD and boot.ini are so called boot config data.

Reaction score
I figured out the issue. When I took the motherboard out of the old case and then put it into the new I did not plug the hard drives back into the same SATA ports on the mobo. As soon as I put them back the way they originally were it works just fine.

Crazy. Hell of a way to learn that mistake. I will definitely make a backup repair disc for my OS now.

John

Ask a Question