Dual boot newbie in need

Reaction score
Hi guys..

I'm thinking about installing W7, but i'm a bit concerned about making an f-disk if the thing doesn't work.. so.. I was wondering if there's a way that i can install W7 on another partition than my XP (my xp is already on it's own partition), and then be able to choose which OS i'd like to use when i turn on my computer?

It's not that i'm worried about loosing all of my data, because i have a eksternal HDD to make a backup of all my important stuff, but i'm more concerned about being able to use my computer for the next couple of days..

Thanks for reading, and perhaps answering :)

- Tjaldfeen

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you're just wanting to try Windows 7 out, you could also consider running it within your existing operating system using VirtualBox:

https://www.w7forums.com/run-windows-7-virtualbox-t107.html

Dual booting is a much better option if you want try it out more fully though, as it can make the most of your current hardware (real 3D acceleration etc...). The video that James posted explains it all well :)

Reaction score
Ian is right about the virtual box idea, good idea for newbies, however when dual booting it gives you the option to select between the OS's. What i would suggest is to create a new partition and install windows 7 dirextly onto this. Microsofts suggestion however is to install on a fresh/dedicated PC. The option is yours, but to make a partition just use XP's facilities, command prompt, or my favourite, acronis disk director. Simply search this in google.

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you're just wanting to try Windows 7 out, you could also consider running it within your existing operating system using VirtualBox:

https://www.w7forums.com/run-windows-7-virtualbox-t107.html

Dual booting is a much better option if you want try it out more fully though, as it can make the most of your current hardware (real 3D acceleration etc...). The video that James posted explains it all well :)
That video is great; wish I had it a few years back! :)
Thanx for the virtualbox tutorial as well, Ian.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the directions linked article, Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration, would be the same for the operating systems being installed on two different hard drives?

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I would say 'Yes', since it does not matter to Windows whether it is installed on a partition on the same drive as the previous version or a separate hard drive altogether.

Reaction score
Only question is, what drive do I boot into and run the hard disk configuration using the windows 7 disk?

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you mean...you would boot from the Win7 DVD and choose to install it on the second hard drive partition.

Reaction score
It tells you to do the following steps. I'm trying to figure out if I need to do this while on my Windows XP drive or my Windows 7 drive. I installed Windows 7 after Windows XP, but had to do a repair on Windows XP afterwards.

Step 1: Insert the Windows Vista installation disc in a drive, and then open a command prompt

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc in the computer's CD or DVD drive.
  2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
Back to the top
Step 2: Use the Bcdedit tool to configure the hard disk partition on which Windows Vista is installed

1. At the command prompt, type cd %windir%. Note the drive letter that is displayed at the command prompt. This drive letter indicates which drive is associated with the active partition on the hard disk. Typically, this is the C drive.
  2. Type Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe –NT60 All, and then press ENTER.

Note Drive is the drive in which the Windows Vista installation media is located. Typically, this is the computer's DVD drive (the E drive).
  3. Type %windir%\system32\Bcdedit –create {ntldr} –d "Description for earlier Windows version", and then press ENTER.

Note Description for earlier Windows version can be any text that you want. For example, it can be "Windows XP."
  4. Type %windir%\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} device partition=x:, and then press ENTER.

Note x is the drive letter of the active partition that you identified in step 2a.
  5. Type %windir%\system32\Bcdedit –set {ntldr} path \ntldr, and then press ENTER.
  6. Type %windir%\system32\Bcdedit –displayorder {ntldr} –addlast, and then press ENTER.
  7. Restart the computer.

Reaction score
had a same riddle but setled it in a most simple way , 1 st the most powerful pc is running under win 7 and another one under xp

anyway , if u goonna go with 32 bit version , go ahead and install with 7 as a primary os , its truly fast and stable and compatible with most of progs / softwhere

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I apologize, buffdaddy110, I was thinking you were wanting to install Win7, not that you already had and were looking to do a repair.
That's what happens when a new thought is inserted in a thread. It would have been better to start a new thread perhaps. Anyway, I'm sure your problem will get solved soon!

In the meantime, would a copy of VistaBootPro make things easier? It supports Win7 now.
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Last edited:

Ask a Question