Drive shows up in Computer Management Not My Computer

Reaction score
I have a Dell Inspirion E1705 laptop. It powers on but nothing on the screen and no keyboard response. Its old so all I want to do is get some files off the drive. Not worried about fixing the laptop. I took the drive out and plugged into my desktop as a second drive. It doesn't show up in Computer but does list in device manager and disk manager. It shows as unallocated space in disk manager. I attached a picture that shows the error when I try to initialize the disk. No other options are available. I've tried using a few file recovery programs but with no luck. What else can I do? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you tried the Partition Recovery Wizard feature of EaseUS Partition Master Free? If it could restore the partition then you might be able to allocate a drive letter and access the files.

Reaction score
I have tried. There is no partition to select to recover so it won't let me proceed. I'm at a complete loss. All I did is take the drive from the laptop to the desktop. Now its like its a new drive with nothing on it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
But you already said the laptop wasn't working, there is a good possibility it was because the hard drive failed.

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking but shouldn't I still be able to get data off the driver somehow? Or am I just SOL? Thank you for your help. :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are different ways a hard drive can fail and depending how it died the data may be gone.

I personally have tried Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery Software. In one case it worked and I got back most of my photos but in a second instance I had no luck at all. It is paid software but what I found nice about it, is that the free download will tell you what files if any it can likely recover. So you can decide if it is worth the money after actually seeing file names; many try-before-you-buy recovery software will tell you "I can recover 561 files" but you have no idea what until you pay.

NOTE: If Stellar Phoenix can't find the files then do not waste your time taking it to Best Buy because they can do no better and will charge you about $179 even when they recover nothing!

Reaction score
If Best Buy were to pay me I wouldn't take it to them. They are a scam. I'll try the Stellar software. Thank you again.

Ask a Question