Windows 7 only shows 1 hard drive

Reaction score
I have a W7 RC problem as well. I need help ASAP.

Because windows gave me the blue screen of death yesterday, I had to reinstall, now it won't show my second laptop HD. During the install, I partitioned both drives, and it detected them, now it only shows my 1 HD with the windows directory in it. How do I solve this issue?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try opening the Computer Management interface please, by running "compmgmt.msc /s" (press WINDOWS KEY + R to access the run box).

Then click on "disk management" on the left hand column. Can you post a screenshot of this here, as it should show how Windows 7 detects your drives and give us a clue to the problem. :)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Have a quick look at your bios to see if it still shows both drives.

Reaction score
hey guys, thanks for your help, very much appreciated.
I got an email from a buddy of mine, who solved my problem.

Here's what he said

When you go into the Disk Management snap-in (Start -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc), do you see your second disk listed? It's possible that Windows is aware of the disk, but marked it as uninitialized, offline, or never assigned a drive letter to it.

Reaction score
I have another question though. I use utorrent to download my teams soccer videos and videos from my family back in the Ukraine. I installed utorrent since I reinstalled windows, and even though it worked just fine previously, the thing says now that my port is not forwarded. Even though it is in my router settings. I double checked, and it's in the windows exception list. Any idea what else I have to do?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Do you have the correct port number assigned in uTorrent ?, you should be seeing a green tick at the bottom of uTorrent.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
If the port number in uTorrent matches your portforwared port in your router and uTorrent shows its open i would say it is and you should be getting a download speed in the 100s kbps.

Reaction score
If the port number in uTorrent matches your portforwared port in your router and uTorrent shows its open i would say it is and you should be getting a download speed in the 100s kbps.
yes it was that way during the last install, but now my uncle has a video and it's downloading at like 15-20 kb/s.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
First i would reinstall uTorrent (do you have DHT disabled)

Reaction score
Hi ErrorMagnet

I have had this problem too

I noticed our computers loading different IP's when they start up in different orders. If the computer's IP changes, this will cause the green status in uTorrent to change. What I did to correct this was to assign each computer it own special IP instead of allowing Windows to assign the next availlable IP.

Once you have assigned an IP for your computer. You may need to clear all Ports Forwarded in the Router settings.

Reaction score
Hi ErrorMagnet

I have had this problem too

I noticed our computers loading different IP's when they start up in different orders. If the computer's IP changes, this will cause the green status in uTorrent to change. What I did to correct this was to assign each computer it own special IP instead of allowing Windows to assign the next availlable IP.

Once you have assigned an IP for your computer. You may need to clear all Ports Forwarded in the Router settings.
ohhh crap, I don't know how to assign an IP. I'm pretty stupid when it comes to windows and IP stuff.

Reaction score
You should have papers that you recieved with your Internet Provider. All information you need will be on these papers.

Once you have located these papers we can guide you through the process.

You are looking for these settings
  • Network IP
  • Sub Mask
  • Default Gateway
  • Primary DNS
  • Secondary DNS
PS - Dont give us this data, Just tell us you have located the information and we can tell you how to assign an IP for each of your computers.

Reaction score
Veedaz

I fought uTorrent and Port Forwarding for a long time till I learned how to assign an IP. Once I assigned an IP and cleared the forwarded ports. The ports set back up for my new IP and I have not had anymore Port Forwarding errors.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Thats right M8 you need to assign an IP, ive been port forwarding for games and downloading for over the last 10 years and with many routers.

If you cant find your paper from your Internet Provider ErrorMagnet go CMD in run then type ipconfig /all this will give you much of the info you need, and you need to have the correct Name Server IP addresses just give your ISP a call they can give you them :)

Just to add ..

Encrypt your connection (some ISPs cap)

And make a rule in your router Firewall

and you will soon be hitting some good speeds (legal torrents of course)

Last edited:

Ask a Question