SOLVED how much a/c power does a laptop running win7 use

Reaction score
I was wondering if you could tell me how much a/c power a compaq presario CQ62z-200 laptop running Win7 uses?
I have been researching this on the web, but found no real satisfactory answer. I did find, though, that a PC running VISTA using 47W when the battery was fully charged. It cost around 1¢ an hour.

I would like to know 'cuz my battery is weak, and so I was wondering if it would be economical to run it on a/c power until I got a new one. Then, I figured to save battery life, I would just use the battery every other day. BUT, if it cost more than say, $50.00 a year to run on a/c power, then it would be cheaper to just use the battery.

I know this is kind of a hard question, but any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
COMPAQ Presario CQ62z-200CTO Laptop Battery can power 57.60 watts for one hour.. You can confirm this by reading the specifications of the battery.

Reaction score
Hi, there, DavidStanely, thank you for your response. But, what I'm trying to find out if I keep my laptop PLUGGED in to the a/c power, HOW MUCH WATTAGE will be used. THAT is my question. I mean, I appreciate your trying to give me a definitive answer, but that is not what I am looking for.

I do know if I take out the battery, if I don't really need it, it will save battery life. But, I wanted to find out, if I DO do that, will it cost me more than, say, $50.00 a year. If so, then I am better off buying a new battery every year. In fact, there is one, a 12cell one like I have now, in fact, on ebay for a little over half of that. So, I would like to know what would be more economical:buy a new battery every year, or run it on a/c power most of the time?

Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
I think that your question is: to buy a new battery every year, or run it on a/c power most of the time?
So my answer is that if you are feeling easy using laptop on a/c power then their is no need to buy a new battery.
But fact is that using battery is more reliable.

Reaction score
Purchase a good quality battery.. My laptop battery is used over 2 years and it has still a good backup time.

Reaction score
Thank you for you input, David, but, I simply wanted to know how much electrictiy would it take to run my laptop on a/c power.

I know that on a study someone did with a VISTA, that PC cost very little to run on a/c power.

Well, I guess you don't really have a definitive answer for that, 'cuz I simply wanted to know how much it would cost to run my laptop on a/c power.

Thank you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't believe a definitive answer is even possible balscarlet. The usage all depends on screen brightness, how hot your computer gets, if you are playing graphic intensive games, and how much it sleeps. It will use more than a light bulb and less than your refrigerator. And if you buy a different laptop that one will not use the same amount even if you do exactly the same things with it.

Reaction score
Hi, there, TrainableMan, thankk you very much for your reply. Well, I do know that being online or offline makes a difference in power use, as I'm sure a lot of other factors do. I just thought that there might be a range that could be put on it, say 10 to 20 watts or something.

Again, thank you. I guess my question is deemed solved. Take care & God Bless!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well you could call HP; if they did any testing for Energystar compliance, etc they might be able to tell you a KW range, but for laptops I would expect the more common testing be for battery life.

Reaction score
Thank you again, TrainableMan, for trying to help, but I don't think they would be willing to help me, as my PC has been out of warranty for 2 years now. I cannot even chat online with them. So, that is why I go to a forum such as this for help!!!

But, thanks so much, you are very kind.

Reaction score
Thank you so much, yet again, TrainableMan.

Well, my PC has a 2.2GHz processor, 4GBRAM, 297GB hard drive, and is running Win7 Professional.

Um, can you possible tell me what that means in comparison to the ranges you provided, by any chance?

Thanks again for any help you can give me!!! Appreciate it!!!

Much mahalos!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
My conservative guess would be the Dell Latitude E4200 range which is 38-40Watts

Reaction score
Again, thank you so, so much!!! You are really cool for trying to help me, and I appreciate it.

Take care & God Bless!!!

Ask a Question