Does anybody notice a bug here?

Reaction score
It's high time Microsoft fixed this bug that's existed since Vista was released. I don't mean skipping Vista or 7 and just fixing it in 8, if they do. It's extremely funny that the Windows Health Report can't recognize Microsoft's own product. It's even funnier that Vista's Security Center and 7's Action Center does recognize MSE, even though Windows Health Report obviously doesn't communicate with Security/Action Center in Vista or 7. Not only doesn't it recognize MSE, it doesn't recognize any 3rd party antivirus software either.

Attachments

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Microsoft says NOT TO WORRY about it, it's no big deal and will be fixed in a future update.

From the Microsoft Answers website link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-monitor/b2a03159-4844-474a-b498-054a82704a24

From that link:
This has to do with Microsoft’s software (in code parts), and this means that the
Resource and Performance Monitor does NOT find the antivirus product, since
it is searching in the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI).

Since, the Resource and Performance Monitor is searching using old query,
with old path.

Old Query: root\SecurityCenter:SELECT * FROM AntiVirusProduct
New Query: root\SecurityCenter2:SELECT * FROM AntiVirusProduct

Now, since the case is about the older query, we end-up getting a message about that
the Security Center has not recorded an anti-virus product (See Image below).

Figure 1: Resource and Performance Monitor failed generating correct data about the Security Center status.

Try my Security Analyzer 1.0 (Beta) or my ITknowledge24 Security Center (Beta) today,
download them from my website: http://www.itknowledge24.com/

*Please post feedback regarding my software tools, or send me feedback by mail,
the address is in this POST: http://social.answers.microsoft.com...y/thread/543c448f-2914-4adf-8382-7166ac2ce647

I hope you find this information useful and if you need any further assistance,
please feel free to contact me and let me know.
I hope this information was helpful…

Reaction score
If Microsoft was going to fix it, they's have done it when Windows 7. Especially seeing as the issue first appeared over 5 year's ago now. Wasn't it in August of 2007 when Vista was released to Technet subscriber's ? The rest could get it on 01/31/2007. It existed then, in the originsl Vista RTM version. Over 5 years, 2 os releases and 3 sp's between them. I seriously doubt a fix is coming. Then again their rating system for Windows Experience Index has never truly made sense number wise. Vista's highest 5.9 and 7's 7.9. Why not say 1.00 to 10.. or even 100.00 or 1000.00 ? It seems them number's would make more sense, especially seeing as no other benchmark utilities use that numbering, MS uses. I'll give your tool a run.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
FWIW. It is a well commenting on bug and, as you comment, going back to Vista days. In fact, it doesn't recognise any Anti virus programs (As far as I know!)

Reaction score
For the record I call this a flaw by incomplete design not a bug.

The program was obviously not finished if it never worked from the start.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you dig down into it, you will find it is a program originally in Vista, and just transported to Windows 7 without any Modification, or examination, apparently.

Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely been unchainged since it was released in Vista. Apparently, it's not going to be fixed. They might as well do away with it, if they're not going to fix it. It's kind of useless, especially in Windows 7. Action Center has the correct Security info and the Troubleshooter's section. Heck, they'll probably make Windows 8's WEI go up to 9.9. Windows 9 or whatever they call it will probably be 11.9, going by MS's track record of raising their scoring by 2.00 with each new Windows version.It's also going to be interesting to see if MS looses it's drive or ned for improving thing's/one-upping Apple, now that Steve Jobs has passed. In all actuallity if the new person running Apple isn't Jobsish, it could hurt the os's future enhancements. You can use Intel & AMD as an example. AMD truly isn't competing with or even trying to compete with Intel. AMD has more affordable parts, but they are always 1-3 cpu lines back on performance.Just like I see tablet's fazing out fast. Who want's to have to clean their monitor/;s 5+ times a day, just to see what's on the screen clearly. Imagine your kid's making toasted marshmallows, etc and then using the pc. I'm not interested in that or just having one app open at a time. It's just not productive.I think Windows 8 need's to be called Windows ReMEista. The version after 8 will probably be rushed and alot similar to 7, as it'll basically be a fix up/ tune up version, as XP was for ME and 7 was for Vista.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Might be of interest to you, to know that the problem has been fixed in the windows 8 develope release-

Reaction score
That's nice to know. It'd still be better if they fixed it on the 7 & Vista. I may try 8, bt not until the first release candidate is released.It's not going on this pc when I try it. I still haven't put all my old part's in my other case yet. I can't remember what I did with that case's mobo standoffs. I'll get those when I get the new psu next month. This psu is going in with all the other old parts. After I try the RC of it, I'll make my mind up on whether this pc is gonna get it or not.

Ask a Question