Documents vs My Documents

Reaction score
Win 7 Home Prem 64 Bit.

So curious- should My Documents in the Library Folder mirror the My Documents from User/me/My Documents?

Reaction score
Yes. All the libraries for Documents, etc. do is point to the actual folder.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you can see My documents, then I guess, in the view options, you have revealed the "protected operating system" files?
The "My Documents" folder is no longer a "user" folder. It is known as a "junction" folder. There are several such, in Windows 7. The designations and paths of user folders were chnaged around, in order to handle older programs more comfprtably. The only use of the junction folders is, as implied, for backward compatibility.
If, for example, you install a program which was originally designed for XP, and has not been updated in any form, then the programs built in installation will be looking for the old paths. Once found, it should normally plant its associated files in thos junctions. Windows 7 OS will then copy them over to the new folders, where it will use them and, from that time on, ignore the files in the junctions.
Any attempt to take ownership of those (junction) folders will lead to a cycle of duplicate files and eventually crash your OS.

Reaction score
davehc -
What I did last night was on my storage drive (drive "E" and an internal drive) created a "PC - Libraries" folder.
Then for each in the Library folder on the C drive, directed that folder (eg: Pictures) to a Pictures folder in that E drive.

The idea was/is to have an automatic back up.
But then I noticed a document I created and stored in My Documents did not show in the Documents folder within the Library folder on the E drive.

So, are you saying I should not?

Should I go back to way Windows is configured?

Is there a sync program that will automatically put a copy in back up Pictures Folder?
I have used Sync Toy in the past- but I think its a manual process- yes?

Thx

Reaction score
You did it wrong. Step 1. Create the folders on your E: drive. Step 2: Click Start>Your Username folder on top right side of Start Menu> right-click on each folder>select Properties>Location>Move and point each folder to the same named folder on your E: drive. You should move the following: Contacts, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Music, Pictures, Saved Games, Searches and Videos. AppData and Desktop leave where they are on C:. If you ever have to reinstall Windows, you'll only have to install your software, configure any customizations/tweaks in Windows, install your drivers and repoint your User folder to the same folders on the E: drive. Your files on the E: drive will remain intact.

Last edited:
Reaction score
brkkab123 - thanks will go that route.

What about a sync program that will copy automatically ? Are there any?
Guess there is Sync Toy- but then guess I have to use the Windows schedular to say perform a copy daily, weekly ...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Windows Back-up can perform a daily back-up task and you can specify what folders if you wish ... though the results are stored in a compressed format rather than a one to one copy, so to get them back you must use the recovery side of windows back-up.

Reaction score
Trainableman -
Would prefer a "regular" non compressed method. But thanks for the suggestion.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
davehc -
What I did last night was on my storage drive (drive "E" and an internal drive) created a "PC - Libraries" folder.
Then for each in the Library folder on the C drive, directed that folder (eg: Pictures) to a Pictures folder in that E drive.

The idea was/is to have an automatic back up.
But then I noticed a document I created and stored in My Documents did not show in the Documents folder within the Library folder on the E drive.

So, are you saying I should not?

Should I go back to way Windows is configured?
I think my original answer was possibly sidetracking your first post. I do not use libraries, for personal reasons, so cannot give a direct response. But, to reiterate. If you can see a file in "My Documents", you have obviously taken ownership, otherwise it is not possible. But perhaps you created the library folder yourself?
fwiw. All the folders in "My Documents" are from the originals under your username.

But regarding your backup problem. Perhaps an image program that is capable of performing the task for you on a scheduled basis, would satisfy your needs?. I use Acronis, but there are one or two free ones which can do this. I believe Macrium, for example is one such.

Reaction score
I'm not sure about Sync Toy, I only have one pc that I use, one waiting to be put together after hd prices go back down and a old retired Athlon 64 pc. I've never used any syncing programs, other than Xmarks for my browser bookmarks, so I can't give you an answer on that. P.S. I have used the Windows System Image to restore my ssd after the 2.15 firmware update. My external hd is hooked up using esata. It only took about 10 minutes to restore everything back onto the ssd. I only had to reinstall 2 program version updates as they both came out on a Monday and I have Windows Backup scheduled for weekly Sunday afternoon run's. Also, if you use Firefox, there's an about:config tweak for ssd's. Just do a search for Firefox ssd tweaks. I don't believe there are any for Opera, Chrome or Safari and running WEI takes care of IE.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In XP you could run Synctoy via Scheduled Tasks with the "-R FolderPair" parameters. If you do not specify a folderpair then all pairs run. See HERE. I've never used it that way because I do not keep my external drive powered up so I just run it manually once a week or so but I did try to add it to Task Scheduler in W7 just now and it does seem possible.
ScheduleSynctoy.jpg

Ask a Question