SOLVED Do you want to open this file prompt (IE11)

Reaction score
Recently installed IE11 on my pc running windows 7 ... Now the Open or Save file prompt has changed to say only Do you want to open this file ... I need the option to choose save to disk that I had with IE8. I don't want to open an excel spread sheet template on my server, I want users to download a copy to their local pc...everything I have read about IE greater than 8 is that this option was removed

Reaction score
1. I have a laptop running Win 7 SP1 and IE10.
I also have a laptop running Win 8.1 Pro and IE11.
None of my 2 computers have the issue you mentioned.
In fact, I am a little foggy in what you said.

2. From the way you wrote, were you jumping from IE8 straight to IE11?
If yes, may I suggest that you first uninstall IE11, then install IE10 ( assuming you do have SP1 already installed.). Find out if it works the way it should be. If it runs good, then re-install E11.

** if you don't know how to uninstall IE11, please post back. **

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. let me clear the fog. Before I installed IE11, when I clicked on a file not on my pc with a file tag of (.docx, xlsx, .pdf, etc) the pop-up would say "Do you want to open said file or save it it and would give buttons to click that said Open, Save, and Cancel. Now I only get Open and Cancel buttons. Do you get Save button on IE11?
If so then I will go through the exercise of un-install then install as you suggested.

Reaction score
To clarify...........
that " Open, Save, and Cancel " options only applicable to downloading something from the web. Yes ?
If that is what you meant, yes I do have Save option.

Reaction score
Yes ... from the web or company intranet. If you are saying on a Win7 pc running IE11, when you click on a file (on the web or intranet) you get a pop-up that says "Do you want to Open or Save said file?", then I will un-install IE11 then step my way back from IE8-9-10-11 checking as I go to see what and when it changes.

Reaction score
Not exactly.
I use IE10 on my Win 7 computer.
I did install IE11 on my Win 7 once, but IE11 will not play Dragons Den episodes. So, I uninstalled it and revert back to IE10.

P.S. If you do uninstall IE11, the system will revert back to its previous IE version automatically. You don't need to reinstall.
Meaning, if you had IE8 before 11, after uninstalling IE11, you will be back to IE8 automatically.

Reaction score
Ok ... un-installed update for IE11 ... IE10 does same thing (i.e. new pop-up at bottom of screen that only asks if I want to Open file) ... un-installed update for IE10 and I am back at IE8 ... everything is ok ... hmmmm ... must have skipped IE9 update somehow. Anyway, I get the old File Download pop-up that I expect to see when I click my launch button that has html code "onkeydown="GoToLink(this)" onclick="GoToLink(this)" behind it. The pop-up says "Do you want to open or save this file?" and has three buttons: Open, Save, or Cancel and a Checkbox that is checked with a comment "Always ask before opening this type of file" This is the way it needs to work ... I will stay at IE8 for now until I figure out what MS did to break the File Download pop-up. ... My problem is solved for now. I am tired of MS engineers making changes w/o understanding the ramifications of those changes to the world wide community of users. Give us an option or a checkbox to disable a change or new feature if that is not too much to ask.

Ask a Question