SOLVED Disk Defragmenter missing

Reaction score
I have a somewhat annoying problem on my family's computer running Win7 SP1. Anything related to the UI version of Disk Defragmenter is missing. The command line version (defrag.exe) is still here, thankfully, and I'm aware of other third-party options. Most everything else is well-maintained, and there doesn't seem to be any malware problems.

I've looked over these posts:
Microsoft Answers http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ause-the/342ea00c-48db-49e4-9773-e1e145146084
W7 Forums https://www.w7forums.com/disk-defragmenter-missing-win7-t9273.html

The MS post lists plenty of possible fixes, but all of the various .inf files mentioned are missing. SFC doesn't see anything wrong.

Any idea how to recover this particular program (or even possible reasons why it went missing)? I have the Win7 install disc handy.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So does the file %windir%\system32\dfrgui.exe exist on your system or not?

What happens if you try to run it? If it is not there then try copying it from another computer and putting it in %windir%\system32\

Reaction score
dfrgui.exe is there, but it gives the same "Disk Defragmenter cannot start because the task scheduler service is not running. ..." message as all the other means of starting it. Both the Task Scheduler and Disk Defragmenter services are enabled.

I did just notice that the Defrag scheduled task was deleted on this machine (I rolled it into a weekly routine with other scanning tasks). When I restored the task folder, it prompted me to remove "customized settings" and now comes back up. Seems it didn't anticipate people changing settings from outside.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Not very keen on changes inside either! If you change the default weekly schedule of Disk Defrag to say a fortnightly one, whenever you open task scheduler you get an error message (but cannot remember what it is right now).

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Type Services.msc in the Start or run box. Scroll down and make sure the Task scheduler is indeed, running. If not, double click it and enable it. It should also be set to automatic.You can strat the service from there, or reboot.

Ask a Question