Direct-X errors in BF3 and Crysis 3

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently gone over to SSD from HDD and am using a Crucial M4 500GB currently. Everything is running from my SSD.

I re-installed WIN 7 and updated all the drivers for my motherboard including the BIOS.

I then installed the latest Nvidia driver (not long after going over to the SSD) and kept having problems with Direct-X crashing. BF3 just freezes. I de-installed the latest Nvidia driver and re-installed 310.93 driver knowing that that had worked with my HDD.

Anyway, I'm still getting the same freezing problem. It is not an actual BSOD but the game just freezes and I have to go into CTRL-ALT-DEL to see that there is a problem with Direct-X. No actual error message is given.

Another clue as to what is happening is that after the freeze nothing in my Google browser will load up. I have to shut down the Google browser and restart.

I don't have this problem when running from my HDD, only SSD.

How can I go about fixing this please.

Nevica

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I suggest you check for updated drivers for your SSD,updated drivers for your video, and check for patches to the games.

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes I agree. But I cannot install the latest updates for the SSD as my UEFI is blocking the install.

Crucial have stated that they are working on an updater for MOBOs with specific UEFIs which have this problem. I don't know of another way of updating my SSD.

See here:

http://edge.crucial.com/firmware/m4/040H/Crucial_m4_Firmware_Windows-Utility_040H.pdf

This is stated in the troubleshooting section of the guide.

Nevica

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would call crucial. If they can't fix your drive then return it to the store as defective. If you can't use it for the use in which it was intended then it's just a paperweight.

You could, of course, put it into a different computer that doesn't have the MOBO issue and update the firmware, then put it back. But who is to say it will ever be fixed; do you want to do that every time there is a firmware update? Best to just get a model that works correctly with your computer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your right,

Crucial gave me an update that the UEFI BIOS updater will be another month away.

But for the sake of sending the SSD back I'll try installing the SSD on another computer without UEFI.

It is IFFY for the UEFI. :)

Nevica

Reaction score
Hello,

Here is what I have done.

1. Downloaded Direct-X 9. It reports that I don't need to install drivers as these drivers are already installed and drivers which are higher.

2. Checked I have all windows updates.

3. Checked that I have the latest firmware for the SSD.

4. Installed the latest Nvidia drivers.

So far no freezes!!

Nevica

Ask a Question