Device Manager Troubles

Reaction score
Right now, we have a shared computer, with about 3 Admin accounts (that's me, my mom, and dad) and all of a sudden one day, my Device Manager turned up to be COMPLETELY blank. I tried fixing it using regedt32 and changing the registries, but it won't allow me to edit the settings (even though I'm one of the admins). I've also tried using MSCONFIG (oh and btw I'm using Run names) and going to Services and restarting the Plug and Play service. Nothing seems to be working for me!! D:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Some registry settings require you to grant yourself permission before editing. Se how to change Registry Permissions HERE or HERE.

If a restore point does not work then your best chance of getting what you need w/o a complete reinstall (and if you can't get the registry tweak to fix your problems) is to just create a brand new userid and copy your data there, then delete your existing userid, and finally rename the new id to your old name.

NOTE: This new id will then have your old name but it is actually different. Example if your old ID was HeyItsK and your new ID is HeyItsK2 then even though it will say logon to HeyItsK (once you rename it) your data is stored under C:\USERS\HeyItsK2\. For the most part you shouldn't notice a difference but if you ever need to provide an administrator id, such as for networking, it will likely need HeyItsK2 rather than HeyItsK.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sound suspiciously like a virus attack! If so Trainables solution is, unfortunately, probably the best solution. (Reinstall)

But, you could try this.
First, open up a Global Admin account.
Open a command prompt (Run as Administrator.)
Type the following command and enter.
net user administrator /active
Log out and see if you have a new alternative login, as well as your existing one. If not, do it the long way.
Shut down the computer for a cold boot. Tap the "F8" key as you are booting.
Select "Safe Mode with networking" from the boot menu.
Log into windows 7 with your personal account that holds the administrator access.
Open a command window (START--->RUN--->CMD.exe). At the command prompt type the following net user administrator /active
Log out and log back in as administrator.

Another way
Go to Start
Type Control UserPasswords2. (or Open the Start menu, and type lusrmgr.msc )
Click Advanced.
Click Advanced again.
Select Users.
Select Administrator and untick the the box “Administrator is disabled
Now log out and login as Administrator.
The action leaves you a little more vulnerable to outside attack. Not a big issue if you are confident with your anti virus control etc.
Hopefully the first will work!

You should find you can now edit the Registry. I don't know which solution you have tried, but this is one from Microsoft:

Please backup the registry, or the OS, first.

1. Go to "Start", "Run", and enter "regedit"
2. Maximize the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" window.
3. Scroll down to "SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum"
4. With "Enum" selected click the "Security", "Permissions" menu.
Note: At this point you will probably notice there are no permissions on this key.
5. Click "Add".
6. Add the group "Everyone" and the user "SYSTEM".
7. Select "Everyone" and check "Read" ONLY!
8. Select "SYSTEM" and check "Full Control".
9. Click the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the window.
10. On the Advanced window check "Reset permissions on all child objects..."
11. Click "OK"
12. On the warning window click "Yes"
13. Close the registry.

I reccomend, assuming this has worked, that you disable the "Admin" user again.

Reaction score
Thank you thank you all sooo much!!! I'll try to get to work on my computer as fast as I can! And yes, I was attacked by a trojan, but I got rid of it t(-_- )t

OH and one more thing, I forgot to add that I bought the computer with Win7 already installed and everything, so I don't have an install disk of any sort. =/

Last edited:

Ask a Question