Desktop Screen doesn't appear

Reaction score
My desktop screen never opens up. The computer just keeps thinking about it. Apparently a program is trying to load. How do I find out what it is or get it to load. Everything else works fine. I can go on the internet from the start menu by clicking on that icon. When I use my scanner it reinstalls everytime. I tried to uninstall it and reload it with the disk I get an error saying another program is trying to install, try again later. I have a feeling maybe the scanner is the problem, but I don't know what program it is that is trying to install. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Jeannie, I'm a little confused by what you mean with "My desktop screen never opens up"... does the start menu appear ok, but the icons on your desktop never appear?

Does Windows 7 work OK in safe mode (as this doesn't load most startup applications), and can be used to troubleshoot. To do this, perform the following steps:

Turn on your computer (or restart) and when the system starts loading tap the F8 key repeatedly. By doing this you will bring up the Advanced Boot Menu.

Use the arrow keys to navigate to your desired Safe Mode configuration (either with networking capabilities or without) and hit ENTER.

Ask a Question