Desktop positions and folder views not saving

Reaction score
Hello, I have a bit of a strange problem. I will recap the events leading up to it:

Yesterday my anti-virus, Avira, blocked and removed a trojan. I did a quick scan with MalwareBytes and also removed 2 RootKits. Another scan with Avira resulted in 5 viruses being quarantined. I can provide more information about this if you want.

Prior to my anti-virus detecting the problem, the last thing I installed was FlashGet, if it matters. Due to the incident, I got suspicious of it so I uninstalled it.

Afterwards, I performed a Windows Update. On the following computer restart, I noticed my desktop icons will no longer save their positions no matter what I do. If I right-click and select Refresh, it reverts to being gathered in the top-left. I have tried the solutions here but it did not help: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fix-desktop-icons-layout-not-saved-restart/

Edit: Another thing I did I forgot to mention, was that I deleted stuff in the Temp folder that hadn't been modified for over a week, if it matters. However, I already emptied my Recycle Bin, but I don't think matters, just listing everything I did.

Another problem, my folders will not keep their view settings and keeps reverting to a different one.
Edit: Apparently I can get my folder views to save if I go to folder options and tell it to apply, however this is extremely inconvenient with so many folders.

I cannot do a system restore to before all of this as upon checking, I noticed system restore was turned off, so I have nothing to revert to. I am not sure if this was due to the virus disabling it, or it happened after I replaced my motherboard last month. Regardless, I was able to turn it back on, not that it helps right now.

I assume my computer is clean from the virus now, whatever it did, if anything. Unless you think I should do more scans. My only problem right now is desktop icons not saving and folder views being reset every time.

I am not sure what other information you guys need, but I hope this is something to go on. I would prefer not to create a new User Profile if I can help it, unless I must.

Edit: While checking my Event Viewer, there are 2 entries for Avira. The source is User Profile Service.

The exact Event Viewer entry is:
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -
2 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-2322763445-31121796-3696883740-1001:
Process 1848 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2322763445-31121796-3696883740-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
Process 1848 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2322763445-31121796-3696883740-1001\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
and
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -
1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-2322763445-31121796-3696883740-1001_Classes:
Process 1848 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2322763445-31121796-3696883740-1001_CLASSES\SOFTWARE\Microsoft
Is it possible that Avira is interfering with my User Profile from not saving settings?

Edit 2: Uninstalled Avira and restarted as asked, but desktop icons and folder views still won't save their settings.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
For your desktop issue, it sounds like you might have auto arrange turned on. Right-click on an empty spot on your desktop and choose View, make sure Auto-arrange is not checked.
AutoArrangeIcons.jpg

There is also a file called desktop.ini. Normally this is a hidden system file stored in almost every folder which maintains settings. I'm not sure exactly what settings but sort order etc may quite possibly be stored there. If you deleted these files and emptied your recycle bin then you will need to reapply your settings to your folders.

Folders are organized by one of 5 categories: General Items, Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos. Open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) and select a folder that is not correct, example a Documents folder. Sort it etc just how you want it to be. Then go to Organize ... Folder and Search Options, select the View tab and hit "Apply to folders". Next open a Pictures Folder and set it as desired then again "Apply to folders". Do this for each of the 5 folder types (or at least the 4 data types). Then I would close everything, reboot and come back. See if things are as you set them and let us know.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, but Auto-Arrange is turned off and has always been off. To clarify, I can move my desktop icons in the order I want, but if I restart my computer, the icons revert to being in the top-left. Additionally, simply closing explorer.exe and restarting it will also cause of my icons to revert to the top-left, or simply refreshing the desktop.

As for the desktop.ini, where exactly would this be located that I should find? I have hidden files set to be displayed (unless not good enough), but even when using Search, the ones I've found are only located in "C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64 (a lot of variations here)", but it does not seem to be the one I'm looking for. Should there be one in my Users folder or something? Or would I have to create it?

And for folders, I figured that out a little earlier today, that applying makes my view stick. When I restarted, the views I applied also stayed. However, I never had to do this before as it would automatically keep my preferences without the need of applying. Having to manually set a view to each folder (can't apply to all sub-folders it seems) is a great inconvenience.

I don't mean to jump to conclusions, but one topic I read makes me think Windows Update might have broke my desktop icons from saving their positions and possibly folder views. Or, is there a chance I might still have a virus that's causing this? Either that or my User Profile is somehow messed up?

Sorry for the trouble, and thank you for your time.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
... Auto-Arrange is turned off and has always been off. To clarify, I can move my desktop icons in the order I want, but if I restart my computer, the icons revert to being in the top-left. Additionally, simply closing explorer.exe and restarting it will also cause of my icons to revert to the top-left, or simply refreshing the desktop.

... one topic I read makes me think Windows Update might have broke my desktop icons from saving their positions and possibly folder views. Or, is there a chance I might still have a virus that's causing this? Either that or my User Profile is somehow messed up?
If auto arrange is off but still the desktop resets then I suspect the registry including your user settings was damaged. Viruses are nasty buggers and it's far more likely it (or removing it) caused registry damage than it is that a windows update FUBARed your machine.

As for the desktop.ini, where exactly would this be located that I should find? I have hidden files set to be displayed (unless not good enough) ...
You would have to un-check "Hide Protected OS files" and you can possibly find one under any folder on your hard drive but you don't create them manually, the system creates them when it needs them. I was merely saying that if they were deleted that it could possibly explain the folders sort order change. It was a hunch, that's all, as I'm not exactly sure what all gets stored in there. Me, I delete the Desktop.ini files every time I see them and the system recreates them at its' discretion but I simply use alphabetical on all my folders so I never notice a difference w/ or w/o it.

And for folders, I figured that out a little earlier today, that applying makes my view stick. When I restarted, the views I applied also stayed. However, I never had to do this before as it would automatically keep my preferences without the need of applying. Having to manually set a view to each folder (can't apply to all sub-folders it seems) is a great inconvenience.
As I said,, if you click "Apply to folders" then it should apply to all folders that are specified as that type. So it should apply to subfolders as long as they are designated as the same type. Again, I'm not sure how much the registry is involved with this and it's possible that is what is affecting the odd behavior.

The truth is that a virus, or dealing with a virus can seriously compromise your system. What you might try is creating a brand new userid, Like Mark1 and see if things behave properly on that ID. If so then move your data over and delete your original ID, then rename Mark1 to Mark (or whatever).

This would not be ideal, but the ideal solution is to restore your system to a back-up made prior to the problem. Or, since you say that's not available, is to back up everything and do a fresh install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I created a 2nd profile like you mentioned, and desktop icons and folder views are willing to stay how I want them, even after selecting refresh a bunch of times and doing a comp restart.

So, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and transfer everything in my current Users folder over to the new profile, delete the old profile, then rename the new profile back to my old one, just like you said. Then I just hope nothing goes wrong after all that is done.

Thank you for explaining, I guess I'll begin the task of transferring my stuff and hope nothing comes up.

I'll post again after I finish doing the above just to let you know it went well, or if other things pop up.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
An easy way to transfer your data is to log on to the old ID and MOVE all the data from "My Documents" to "Shared/Public Documents"; then do the same for music, videos, pictures, and downloads. Then log on to your new ID and move everything from "Shared/Public" to "My ...".

Note that you may run into some ownership issues because the files were created with a different ID. I suggest you download and install the "Take Ownership" script from our Freeware DB for your new userid, so that then if you run into a file that it says is not yours, you can open windows explorer, right-click and run "Take Ownership"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Alright, so I finished moving all my files from my old profile (Mark) to my new profile (MarkB)

My desktop icons will keep their positions and my folder will keep their view settings even after a restart now, so all is well, I guess. Everything seems to be in order that I have checked so far. Some files did mention that I had no permissions, but I picked inherit in security and that seemed to have fixed it. I didn't realize you edited your post to mentioned the script while I was moving files, but I think I got everything sorted out. I apologize for my further rambling, but it sort of feels like I'm missing something, but can't quite put my finger on it.

Just now deleted my old profile, and renamed MarkB to Mark. My only pet peeve remaining now would be that all my User folders now say "MarkB" which means I have to update a lot of shortcuts that pointed to "Mark" prior, but I guess it's a trade off I have to accept. Unless there's a fix for that?

At any rate, thank you for the advice, TrainableMan.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I've never tried this and I suspect it may not work but what you might try is renaming this new ID back to MarkB and then creating a new ID of the original Mark. If the old settings were really deleted in the registry then this would create a brand spanking new account which should work, just as MarkB did. But I suspect even when you deleted it, it left the registry entries for Mark, in which case they would still be corrupt when you recreate it. So if you want to go to the trouble you could try it; just don't move your data back until you see if the desktop and folders stay like you want them.

Reaction score
i also have this exact SAME problem AND it also started very recently. i have been googling solutions and now see this board.
i'll try the suggestion here.
mine also occurred after a WIN7 update so i am HIGHLY suspicious it is in indeed related.
system restore also a no go.

Reaction score
Very interesting...Brand new laptop, updated to the latest possible update and exactly the same problem. I spent hours and hours reading forums and still no luck. Tried MS tools, registry keys, .... you name it. Nothing works.

If anybody figured a way to do that, I'd really appreciate a solution. It is really driving me nuts.

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Please post here when solved

I may still try the advice above and create a new user profile, but i would like to avoid that.
STILL having same issue.
other tricks did not work.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I may still try the advice above and create a new user profile, but i would like to avoid that.
STILL having same issue.
other tricks did not work.
On the same boat. Recreating the user is a no go for me. Business laptop, some software that I don't know where to get it. Additionally not too much of a Windows guy.

I was running Ubuntu for the past 3 years on my old laptop and worked great without s single hiccup. At home and before that - OSX. So, really have not touched Windows in about 7 years. The moment I got this laptop about 2 weeks ago nothing but problems...maybe some of it user lack of windows skills...but yet, I am looking for the simplicity and something that is suppose to be so obvious and yet so far away...Should serve as a warning to the people looking to covert...

Reaction score
all i DO know is it occurred sometime after a windows update.
have had this HP laptop, which was built to my specs since december 2011.
was a thing of beauty up until a few weeks ago.
i still reluctantly stand by windows because i have no idea how to run any other OS.
lousy excuse to be sure!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Recreating the user is a no go for me. Business laptop, some software that I don't know where to get it. Additionally not too much of a Windows guy.
Well the whole point of creating a new user is that you do NOT have to reinstall any software. Only if you did a complete reinstall of W7 would you have to do that.

But if it is a business computer it is quite possible your company creates all the laptops from the same image which would include all the company software etc and so your tech support may be able to easily copy off your data, restore the image, and restore your data in a few hours. Regardless, if it is a company computer it is best to contact your tech support rather than attempt it on your own.

Ask a Question