SOLVED Desktop Icons Problem

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently aquired an Asus N61Vg notebook which obviously came with a Windows 7 Home Premium OEM. After getting used to most of the notebook and Windows 7 settings and after I got rid of the bloatware, I've started doing some graphic card and performance tests. While I was measuring some FPS in Left 4 Dead (not a fan of the game, simply wanted to test the graphics card, an Nvidia 220M) the game froze and I had to shut it down with ''End Task''.

Afterwards, some of the desktop icons (some of them belonging to older programs) are shown inside a frame, a very annoying one. I've tried fiddling with the usual settings and even deleted the Icon Cache (from my AppData folder) but the problem still persists.

Since I've only been using the system for a few days I can imagine there's either a setting I've altered or a registry entry I've screwed up. Any suggestions ?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi krossfire, welcome to Windows 7 Forums

My first thought is have you performed a system restore to clear this problem ?

Reaction score
Not that much of a fan

Hi krossfire, welcome to Windows 7 Forums

My first thought is have you performed a system restore to clear this problem ?
Thanks.

Not a fan of SR, my data is backed-up. If it's not a minor glitch, I have no problem in reinstalling.

Reaction score
Fixed

Fixed !

The problem is that most icons can only look smoothly on a ''small icons'' view. I used the medium icons. The game altered some of my settings and the resize rate was affected. After switching a few times between small - medium - large icons and rearranging, the problem disappeared, even after the restart. I can't be sure it won't resurface again but at least I can get rid of it if it does.

In short : RMB -> View -> Small Icons. Rmb -> View -> Medium Icons. Rearrange, restart. The effect might still appear so do this a few times , eventually passing through Large Icons as well.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums Krossfire and thanks for posting the solution, I'll mark this thread as solved. :)

Ask a Question