delete one of primary partitions

Reaction score
I have a small primary partition with the size of about 8gb (the last one on the right).

I wonder if it's safe to delete that volume and merge it with the volume C. I install win7 on volume C

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
gr33nb0y, welcome to the forum!

Yes, you can do this, it's a bit tricky, and time consuming, but it can be done. First off, you need a partitioning tool, such as Mini Tool Partition Wizard Home Edition, which can be found here.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Install that program, create a boot disc (with the built in wizard), and off to work you go. First off, delete that last partition. Then, working with the last one on the right, move it to the end, using the tools in the app. It's really simple. Make sure that each one remains the same size. You use the "dragger" to move the partition with, first the right end, then the left.

After you see it's how you want it, on each one, click "Apply". It'll take a few minutes for each one.

Then do the same with the next one, and the next. Finally, you'll end up with that 8.67GB partition (as free space) beside of your "C" partition. Then, all that you'll need to do is extend the "C" partition to fill the space.

It's as simple as that. Post back if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Best of Luck,
Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You don't need a third party program. You can do it right from where you are in the picture. Right click and delete the "New volume" then extend C: Takes a minute.
But be sure you have no data hidden in that "new" volume. How was it created? As it has no designator, I am assuming it is not even formatted? - But worth an examinations first.

Reaction score
You don't need a third party program. You can do it right from where you are in the picture. Right click and delete the "New volume" then extend C: Takes a minute.
But be sure you have no data hidden in that "new" volume. How was it created? As it has no designator, I am assuming it is not even formatted? - But worth an examinations first.
hmm, i guess it was there as default, I checked it, only volume information folder

Last edited:
Reaction score
yes u can do it u dont nedd a third party program as window7 have inbuilt in it.u have to right click on my computer
click manage
then under storage tab click disk management
:D

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you examine the op, you will see he is aware, and has already been using disk management

Reaction score
well, the problem is one of my friends tried to do the same thing with his laptop and things screwed up. The windows didn't boot up for the whole day, even if he put in the boot disc and tried to using mini xp, then it just suddenly ok, still don't know why and 2 volumes are disappeared with all the data

So I really want to do this right

Reaction score
Hi,
If you would like to merge the partitions by removing new volume (completely at the right on the picture) and extending C, proceed as follows:
1. Back up to an external device any important data of the new volume.
2. Right-click Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management, then right-click the graphic of the new volume partition and select Delete. The partition returns to Unallocated for a Primary Partition or Free Space if it‘s a Logical Drive within an Extended Partition. Delete the partition if it is an Extended partition.
3. Now right-click the graphic of the C partition and select Extend.

Ask a Question