Cursor moves on its own!

Reaction score
I am typing an email on Windows Live Mail, all of a sudden the cursor moves to a line somewhere above where I have been typing, and as I continue, I suddenly find that I am now typing in the middle of a word several lines above where I thought I was.:eek:

Sometimes a whole section of the email from the end and maybe for 2/3 lines up will highlight and when I hit the next key all the high lighted area will disappear! Thank goodness for Ctrl/Z !!!!!!!!

I hate WLM :mad: I much prefer OE but can't have it on Windows 7!! This moving cursor will drive me mad if I can't sort it out! .......... HELP!!!!!!:confused:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
By any chance do you have W7 Professional or Ultimate? If so you could install Virtual PC - XP mode and then it's possible to enable Outlook Express.

I personally don't have nor want WLM so I'm afraid I would only be guessing. By any chance do you have a laptop with a touchpad that you might be bumping and could cause the cursor focus to switch to where the mouse happens to be pointing?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nibs, does Thunderbird actually download the emails to the harddrive? Because what I saw looked more like a browser. I'm just curious, never used it myself, but was researching it a little for another post.

Last edited:
Reaction score
By any chance do you have W7 Professional or Ultimate?
No it is just plain ole W7

If so you could install Virtual PC - XP mode and then it's possible to enable Outlook Express.
I used to have OE on Vista and liked it but can't get on W7!

I personally don't have nor want WLM so I'm afraid I would only be guessing. By any chance do you have a laptop with a touchpad that you might be bumping and could cause the cursor focus to switch to where the mouse happens to be pointing?
Yea I thought of that.......... and have tried to make it happen by touching other keys whilst typing but it didn't happen!!

I tried Mozilla, Firefox and Google whatsit??? But didn't like them - maybe I should have persevered - any other suggestions? I HATE WLM! Too much like Hotmail and now that's the dregs!!!!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The moving cursor does not, I feel, have anything to do with a live mail problem. The fault must be located elsewhere.
But, curiosity, in what respect do you think Hotmail is so similar to Live mail?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I agree with Dave that I don't believe it is so weird coding bug in WLM. I suspect it is either some key combination, like bumping the alt key when you hit the spacebar or tapping the mouse button or touchpad and it repositioning the pointer.

But Dave, I also know on Microsoft's Bing website that scrolling the mouse over the wrong portion of the screen (the stupid line of text right under the search) can cause a mouse-over action that steals focus from the search line and then everything I type goes nowhere and just generally frustrates me. So, not being familiar with WLM, I figured it could also have some annoying quirks.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hey TM. Sorry if this sounds a little ignorant, but could you link me to that site? I,d like to give it a try.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Nibs, does Thunderbird actually download the emails to the harddrive? Because what I saw looked more like a browser. I'm just curious, never used it myself, but was researching it a little for another post.
No it does not, only if you choose to DL emails you want to store on the computer.

It is not browser-based. It's a stand-alone email client, similar to Outlook.

If the OP has MS Office, he can use the Outlook client in that application too, although I have never personally liked Outlook in any shape or form.

Here's a good article at Wikipedia about Mozilla Thunderbird

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Just to clarify, before the thread begins to drift once again, Cheekiweki, are you using the desktop, standalone Live mail or the browser?

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Well, unless he's willing to purchase MS Office 2003 or newer; or he can buy a standalone version of MS Outlook 2010 for $139. It appears that he'll have to adjust to a new email client or just use his browser to access his email service.

Sometimes my mouse's cursor will start to drift on it's own too, but I think that's because of the nature of the Logitech Trackball sometimes. Perhaps the tectonic plate movements here in Central Texas...

Reaction score
Hi Dave - Thanks for the feedback. I guess I was getting a little over heated after some frustrating time on the pute and was stressed out! Got a bit worked up as I described my puteroblems - WLM should not be compared in any way to Hotmail - I think just in my mind I don't like them............ I had also just discovered that I had lost an important folder in my WLM - after looking for help (elsewhere) I saw several similar posts. I found it though. I searched each other folder to make sure it hadn't slid in unknowingly as the mouse passed over. Not in any....... I then processed thru the steps as if I was going to 'save' a folder to back up. This process offers to browse which folder one wants to save. As I browsed thru - there was my folder, as a sub folder to another. I went back to the Folders in WLM and looked again and it wasn't there! Back to the back up process and it definitely was there - I tried various tactics and eventually got it back -

3 Hours Ago
Justb to clarify, before the thread begins to drift once again, Cheekiweki, are you using the desktop, standalone Live mail or the browser?

Desktop - easy to drift isn't it! (as I did above)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru for the info on Mozilla Thunderbird - I think I will give it another try. Certainly ticks all the boxes. I did have MS Office but only operated for 30 days on my new pute and as I don't need most of its functions I dropped it off at the nearest recycling bin. I know it doesn't matter on this forum but this Cheekiweeki is a 'she'ekiweeki
By the way, on your travels, have you seen Venus - HUGE showing star planet to the East. In November rising 5 a.m. EST now can be seen rising about 03:30/4 - must look enormous from where you are!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I know it doesn't matter on this forum but this Cheekiweeki is a 'she'ekiweeki
Ooops! My bad... LOL! :eek: ;)

Sometimes, since most of us here are of the testosterone-laden gender here, I assumed you were also. The only other member here of the "finer sex" would be Draceena and she has a great sense of humor. (At least the only other that I know of.)

Let me take the time to personally say... Welcome to The Windows 7 Forums Website! :ciao:

Let us know how it goes for you regarding your email situation. A LOT of Windows users get used to using Outlook and never venture any further as they're "comfortable" with it. I tried it years ago and after tons of spam and other unmentionable things getting downloaded to my system I decided to just access my email accounts via my Firefox browser as using a browser is the most secure method of accessing email. However, some people really like and/or depend on the other features offered by Outlook such as the appointment scheduler, calendar, etc.

If you need anything else, please let us know and if you have anything of value that you wish to contribute, please feel free to post a new thread.

From Somewhere Out In The Oort Cloud (tuning up the anti-grav hardware and adjusting the tachyon field).
~Nibs

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
And there was stoopid me thinking her problem was the drifting mouse!!!
TM. Any chance of the link to Microsoft's Bing website

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cheeki you can ignore this, it's just to show Dave what I was referring to above (sorry I took so long Dave, I was over fixing my nephews computer all day and this is the first I checked mail) ...

It's actually MSN "powered by Bing" (because of the Bing on the search line it's how I think of it but I should have said MSN) and I'm using Firefox (it's not WLM, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if such a case could exist in other Microsoft programming). If I put my mouse on the search line and left-click so that I actually can see the cursor blinking there ... then if I move my mouse down over that row of text my cursor is yanked from the line and if I type my keystrokes are lost and often times when I hit enter I actually end up launching whatever link is under the mouse. But this isn't as likely now that she mentioned it's the desktop application not browser driven.

And as I read it, it isn't that her mouse is drifting on it's own (it may be but it's not the issue), the issue is that the cursor ends up in a different spot. I merely offered up that this can happen if you left-click or double-tap the touchpad; then the cursor gets placed wherever the pointer happened to be.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thanks for the info TM.
" I was over fixing my nephews computer all day and this is the first I checked mail) ."
LOL!! Glad to hear it. I was rapidly coming to the conclusion that you had found a way to fit a camp bed in your computer.

Later.
I opened up FireFox and went to MSN (Bing).,couldn't for the life of me reproduce the problem!

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't know what it is; just always does it for me. If I put my cursor on the search line and start entering text then as I move my cursor over "News Entertainment Sports Money etc ..." the mouseover takes control, my cursor is pulled from the search line, and an extra detail line of text appears under the blue line with more items about the Entertainment (or the Sports etc depending on which piece of text my mouse passes over). And by the time I finish typing my search string and hit enter to do the search ... well the enter key is taken as me selecting the text under my mouse and I'm taken to the Entertainment page.

Reaction score
This site is a hoot. I am now trying to think of other problems that I can get answers to humorously ! So where to start??? Need more time! But thank you 'guys' -it is great to know that when I have a calamity I can come here - In the mean time I will and give you your due reverence

Reaction score
Let me take the time to personally say... Welcome to The Windows 7 Forums Website! :ciao:

Well.........thanks very much Nibiru This is certainly a life saving place to come, instead of going in the corner and tearing out my hair!!

'' tons of spam''

I never have a problem with SPAM as I have use a good SPAM FIGHTER. I also use AVAST and have not had any virus (touch wood!) I do a lota lota email and so like to have it on my DT - but I can see the benefits of browsing.
So if one has 'tips' or finds a really cool site where should that be entered? Is there a special place. Spose I should go and have a little wander round and see.
Many thanks - are you guys hanging about looking at the other threads?

Ask a Question