Create a recovery Partition

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I just wanted to know if there was any way I could create a recovery partition for my notebook. I play around a lot, and it has become unbootable. Anyway, I did an Upgrade from XP, so the recovery would have reinstaled XP?

Thanks,
Fire Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have never actually tried to CREATE a recoverery partition, as they tend to come with certain products factory installed. I have removed some with Partition Magic to reclaim HD space but this product has compatibility issues with Win 7.

When you installed 7 it likely left the partition, I had two partions on my HD and it didn't touch the second one (I put mine there on purpose, it was not a factory backup partition). So if it is still there you should be able to send your control panel\backup and restore\create a system image to that partition.

Windows 7 suggested you create a restore disc when you installed, hopefully you did that as this is likely the best way to recover from your existing problems.

Now, your ID makes me hungry for Chinese food, so I am off to dinner while singing "Did you ever think when you eat Chinese, it ain't fish or chicken, but a fat Siamese? But the food tastes great so you don't complain but that ain't chicken in your chicken chow mein. Seems to me I ordered sweet and sour pork but it's Garfield on my fork; it's purring here on my fork." :p

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes I did make restore discs. But I travel a lot and I don't want to take a load of restore discs with me. But I am trying to create a new recovery partition.

Luckily, last time something happened to my notebook, I had my live-usb of Ubuntu, so I was able to get help.

Lol. Fire Cat = FC and for me FC = KFC

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
i would suggest to use Norton Ghost to backup rather than going for a recovery partition .

Reaction score
I use Macrium Reflect for my partition backup. I have a 150GB backup partition (call it drive D). Macrium has a boot disk created to restore the partition. I know you don't want to carry a ton of boot disks but how about just 1.

Reaction score
It is possible to replace the image file and continue to use the recovery partition. However you would need to know the original software that was used to create the image and possibly the correct version as well. Even if you did know the correct software and version, you have upgraded to Win7 from XP and the size of the drive needed for the image would have multiplied.

Long story short, it would be advisable to find a good Drive Imaging software for backup solutions and forget about the recovery partition once you have changed Operating Systems. However you could use a designated partition for the Backup image then all you would need is the BootCD with the Recovery Program once you decided to fall back on the backup.

Ask a Question