SOLVED can I create a recovery partition on my laptop?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
On my Dell Latitude D610, I installed Windows 7. On HP/Compaq computers, there is a recovery partition preinstalled on the hard drive. Can I do the same with my Dell, create a small partition and put the OS image on it for recovery, or would that be more trouble than it's worth. I have created a system image on DVD already, and also on a external drive.

Reaction score
You can store the image on a partition if you like. Its the Recovery program that reads the image and writes it to disk that will be the problem.

You may find you would need to boot the recovery software from DVD even if you have the image on the hard drive. This would also be quicker when doing the recovery. Reading from DVD is slower than reading from Hard Drive.

Reaction score
Re:

Hey dude if you have not recovered your files yet or your recovery program does work i would suggest using Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery software which is ultimate solution for your problem.you can try the free demo version of this software which will show you the recovered files on preview.Good luck

http://www.partitionrecovery-software.com/

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
David MBailey, welcome to the forum! I found the solution to creating a recovery partition. Backup to an external drive (you can use DVD's, but is slower and you have to babysit the process). Then, using your Repair Disc, you can retrieve your system that way. I looked for a way to create a recovery partition that works like new computers do, with no luck. Making the image and partition is no problem. Making it bootable and reloading your OS is. But thanks for the link provided for the software. I'll download it and make some use of it. Anytime you need help or whatever, come on back.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Nice of a stranger to necro up an old thread and add a third party link to it. I doubt your thanks will reach him, however; I'm sure he's off to help others on other forums by now, selflessly promoting a product he has no affiliation with.

Yes, I am that jaded.

Reaction score
If you ever figure out how that is done be sure to let me know as well as the rest of the PC world. I've been looking for the same thing for awhile.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Nice of a stranger to necro up an old thread and add a third party link to it. I doubt your thanks will reach him, however; I'm sure he's off to help others on other forums by now, selflessly promoting a product he has no affiliation with.

Yes, I am that jaded.
I took a look at the product, it has nothing to offer to my collection of tools. I already have these tools on other discs. Thought I checked the problem solved, but apparently I didn't. I have a lot more going on than worrying over a partition disc. There are those with more serious concerns, especially over printers, and I'm doing all I can to help them out. That's the reason I'm here, to help where I can.

Reaction score
Core...Once i used this software that is why i just suggest for it due to my good experience with this application.I also suggest check the demo version first, if it satisfies your needs then go for the application otherwise do not...

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Core...Once i used this software that is why i just suggest for it due to my good experience with this application.I also suggest check the demo version first, if it satisfies your needs then go for the application otherwise do not...
That's cool. I jumped the gun and mistook you for a spammer. I've been a mod for over a decade on various forums, and I guess the Force is sometimes too strong in this one. My apologies! Welcome to the forum!

Ask a Question