SOLVED Crash on wake from sleep

Reaction score
Hi all,

My pc has started not waking from sleep properly over the past month or so. Also, after putting the pc to sleep sometimes it won't wake up at all when asked using the power button or an IR remote (see system specs below).

Scenario: With the pc running I choose Start>Shutdown>Sleep. The pc appears to go to sleep ok. When I use the IR remote or the case power button to wake it up it starts up as though it was shutdown. Before the OS begins loading I get the screen that tells me Windows was not shut down properly with a count down timer. I choose Start Windows Normally and the OS loads and returns to the desktop.

Alternate scenario: sometimes when I ask the pc to wake up it does not respond at all. If turn off and unplug the power supply for a while and then reconnect and turn on the system does sometimes turn on. Sometimes I unplug other devices and the NIC and continue trying until it comes on (interweaving unplugging the power supply).

This just started happening in July. The system has been working fine for nearly two years prior. I have installed no new software or drivers but I do have the Windows update service running so that new updates are applied automatically.

I've done lots of research on this topic and have tried a few things including running chkdsk /r - completed and did not have an effect. I read a post that someone had a similar problem that turned out to be the power supply going bad -- can a bad power supply result in the pc not being able to sleep properly (seems like a candidate to me).

I ran powercfg /energy and 10 or so of my USB devices are listed as not being able to be put to sleep - but those devices haven't changed in several years so I can't imagine that being the problem (unless MS has done something to change that).

Any help or insight is appreciated to diagnose this problem before I try something like replacing the power supply...

My system specs:

• Windows 7 all updates applied
  • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
  • Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H
  • MSI 5450
  • Hauppauge HD-PVR (2 USB connections)
  • Moneual 312 (card reader USB, USB hub, integrated IR)
  • Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse

-Andy

EDIT: Found this as a close enough description of my problem: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/317049-28-problem-starting-sleep-mode - I'll try replacing the PSU to see if that fixes things..

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Before I would go spending money to replace your power supply I would look in control panel>device manager and try telling certain devices to never sleep. The most common sleep issues happen when the network/wifi is allowed to sleep, so try the power options so as to "never sleep" and see if it helps.

Reaction score
Before I would go spending money to replace your power supply I would look in control panel>device manager and try telling certain devices to never sleep. The most common sleep issues happen when the network/wifi is allowed to sleep, so try the power options so as to "never sleep" and see if it helps.
Thanks for the tip! I tried that; it had no effect. I have noticed that it is some combination of issues to do with the keyboard/mouse (ps/2 ports), the NIC, and the PSU.

After putting the pc to sleep and trying to wake it right away it will start but will present the "start windows normally" screen.

If I put the pc to sleep and wait a longer time (e.g., overnight) then it will not wake at all with either the power button or the IR remote. At this point I have tried cycling the PSU switch by itself (no effect). Cycle the PSU switch and unplug the PSU for a few minutes (no effect). Cycle PSU/unplug and disconnect the ps/2 ports (kb/mouse) - still no effect. If I then unplug the LAN cable (with the kb/mouse unplugged) the pc will start up and present the "start windows normally" screen.

Still looking..

-Andy

EDIT: Changed to a USB mouse and keyboard; no change in behavior. I disabled the NIC in the BIOS and the pc will wake from sleep to "start windows normally" screen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It sounds like while going to sleep or during sleep you may be experiencing BSODs which normally trigger a reboot. Make sure minidumps are enabled and then attach any recent DMP files.
Thanks for helping me out on this one - it's driving me crazy that I can't identify what's going wrong...

I enabled minidumps and have run the sleep wake cycle several times and I'm getting no dumps written to the disk (checked the default C:\Windows\Minidumps and other locations but nothing was found). I checked the event log and went through it fairly carefully. I am getting an crash event recorded but no other data. I attached a screen shot of the event. One thing I have noticed is that I have a USB card reader integrated into the case that stopped working recently (not sure I can exactly correlate to the sleep problem but it's all in the same rough time frame). I check the event log and noticed that I am getting warnings for Kernal-PnP for driver failed to load the USB mass storage device. So, I unplugged the card reader from the USB header on the motherboard and cycled the pc again. With the card reader unplugged I no longer get the driver load warnings but I do continue to get the crash detect on wake as the attached screen shot shows.

The event log is clean besides this one entry. The event data (bug check and power button timestamp) is all zeros and sleepInProgress is true.

Since the log entry indicates crashed (and I get no crash dumps), stopped responding (and no dumps), and unexpectedly lost power I wonder if I don't have a PSU problem with the 5VSB (or something else). I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I can wake the pc (to a crash) soon after putting it to sleep but if I wait overnight the pc won't respond at all to a wake up using the case button or IR remote. Others have experienced the (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/68748-63-wake-longer-sleep) but the remedies that were posted have not helped in my situation.

-Andy

EDIT: This (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504) also indicates perhaps a problem with the PSU. I have one on order so hopefully this is the problem; I'll know soon.

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would suggest you check the MOBO manufacturer's website for a BIOS update, the updates often include little sleep tweaks in them. If a BIOS update doesn't fix it then the error definitely says the Kernal is not getting enough power so you either need to find an option to never let it sleep in device manager or you may need to disable sleep completely.

I realize you only have a 400W PSU but that should be well within requirements for an MSI 5450 so it is a slim possibility there is an actual problem with your actual power supply if the issue only ever occurs going to or in sleep. If you are in a place where you can easily go out and buy a PSU and then return it if it doesn't help then sure, try it, otherwise I would keep looking at things like the BIOS, and control panel > device manager settings, and there is also control panel > power options to be looked over.

Reaction score
I checked for BIOS updates, I'm on the latest. I have the CPUID H/W monitor installed and pulled it up just to look at the voltages. I attached the screen shots below. I took the screen shots shortly after a restart with no load on the computer. The -12v and -5v reports look suspicious to me; although I googled some other images and others report like this as well. Weird.

EDIT: On looking into this closer it seems that software voltage monitoring is relatively worthless, so, probably "nevermind" ;-)

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well depending where you live it may be easy to try a different PSU, that's up to you.

Even tweaking power settings, on this old computer I don't BSOD but I can never wake so I simply disable sleep. I don't know what else to suggest; I guess you will need to try various Power settings, etc. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Reaction score
So, after 2-3 hours on standby the pc won't respond to the power button or the IR remote. The minimal formula to get it to power on is:
  • Unplug the LAN cable
  • Unplug the Logitech wireless USB keyboard/mouse (single connection)
  • Press the power button (boots from off)
  • Plug in LAN and USB keyboard/mouse

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Not a solution but other reboot possibilities:

Try pressing and holding the power button for a full 6 seconds.

Try turning the power switch off in the back on the PSU and then back on, then power on.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello~

After reading and re reading this ... I got me wondering .. if you have tried these disregard.

ajp-

You said: "I checked for BIOS updates, I'm on the latest."

-Did you check within the BIOS to see what "level" of sleep or hibernate it's set to ?? And ALSO what will allow the system to "wake" ?

Each BIOS is different as to where they put these settings so and what each setting relates to so , unfortunately, I could not exactly tell you where that setting may be or what setting to change things to.

Usually, to get into the BIOS settings its a single key stroke to get into it on boot up but BEFORE Windows actually starts. Your system SHOULD show you upon a boot up ( a full shut down/power down is the easiest way to see what key stroke is needed to access the BIOS)

Different levels can cause different or "funky" things to happen.

- Second,. Are all your drivers ( for your mouse, LAN, etc.) installed form the manufacturer and NOT from windows updates ? The reason I ask about this particular one is that SOMETIMES ( just like having the setting in BIOS set a particular way) the updates from Windows Update can cause "funky" things to happen to a system.

-When you mention that your mouse and key board are on a SINGLE connection do you mean you are using a UNIFYING set from Logitech ?

To be honest to ME it does not sound to me like a PSU problem .. BUT it may not hurt to have the one you are getting as a "standby" as a just in case.

Hope that helps.
~LoneWolf

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
lonewolfmage had an excellent suggestion there. In the BIOS there is normally an ACPI setting for the various sleep states (S1 thru S5 as well as several combinations). And that setting tells the computer things like "S5" allows for power down of all but enough power for the power button to restore, etc. See WIKI for the various Sleep settings.

Reaction score
TM~

Thanks for the back up ;)

I was actually just "spit balling"

BUT it seened like the right aspect .. as I have had that happen my self on not just my computers but also for clients ..

Thanks again :)

~LoneWolf

Reaction score
Solved!!!

Solved!!!

For everyone following this thread, the problem is the power supply. I swapped the PSU with a new one and everything now works great and as expected. The computer goes to sleep and wakes without a crash in between and it starts up without any hassle (unplugging devices (etc.)

So the problem is the PSU CPU power feed. Apparently when it comes on it runs fine but when it goes to sleep the power either drops below spec of cuts off completely causing an OS crash (obviously) which logs the kernel power event. I suspect that the power was below spec since when I unplugged other devices (the LAN and kb/mouse) their must have been enough power for the CPU to initiate a startup. If the CPU power was zero during sleep then nothing would have turned it on since mobo would not have been powered at all.

Thanks to all who posted ideas. Filing this one away to hopefully help others who may run into a similar situation.

-Andy

Reaction score
May be your computer is infected by a virus or malware. A resuce disc can be helpful in this regards. Simply boot from it, follow the on-screen instructions and it'll completely disinfect your system.

Ask a Question