SOLVED Cool article for keeping others from messing up your Windows 7 pc

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Appreciate the sharing, but one must always be careful when doing registry hacks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is one there to disable regedit - wonder how you reset that once you locked yourself out?

Also it says most of the setting go in HKEY_Current_User, which means it would only be restricted for the current login. It seems when someone else logs in the settings would be reloaded from HKEY_Users.

Reaction score
I haven't personally tried any of them I figured others on the forum may be interested in them. I'm the only one that uses my pc, so none of those hacks apply to me.What I got out of the article, was that it basically keep's other user's of your pc, from messing with your settings and denying them access to certain tools(i/e:registry,etc.).

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There is one there to disable regedit - wonder how you reset that once you locked yourself out?
Start > Run > gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates -> System > Prevent access to registry editing tools > Right Click > Edit.

I will note however, that messing around in there not knowing what your are doing is a good way to turn your computer into a big paperweight.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Start > Run > gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates -> System > Prevent access to registry editing tools > Right Click > Edit..
Well I have Professional and don't really plan to try it anyway but Home Premium users don't have the Group Policy Editor so they couldn't do that.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Good point - and probably good Premium users don't have access.

Personally, if possible I prefer all users to have their own machines, and not share. computers or have multiple users accounts. If multiple users do have accounts, make them limited accounts.

Reaction score
The thing I have against these modifications is not only are you making things difficult for others but yourself included.

I personally couldn't cope with the restrictions on my PC, even in an attempt to control someone else.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I personally couldn't cope with the restrictions on my PC, even in an attempt to control someone else.
Agreed. All the more reason for each user to have their own PC. I typically disable the UAC on my machines because I know what I am installing. With other users, you lose control.

Reaction score
Lol I agree with @TM. You lock yourself out of the registry. But like he also said, you can just log in to another account, open Regedit, and then delete the key from there.

Ask a Question