contacts export not possible - help!

Reaction score
old laptop crashed (Vista), data was saved and new hard disk installed.
Luckily the contacts could be saved (nearly 20 years of work....).
Now I cannot export them anymore as the program simply gets stuck. I can't do anything with them, but use them thru Windows Mail and it takes minutes for emails....
ANyone for help ? I need to export these address to a csv. file so I can work with it.
thanks

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You may have difficulty finding the contacts from the tip in the link. It is sitting under users - username - contacts. Or just type "contacts" in the Start box

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, but it does not work.
I have tried to export the contact to csv or any other option given and also tried to import them to another computer - all thru Windows Live Mail Contacts, but the program stops and this is it - I can restart.
Is there any other way that I can export or use my contacts ?
Can I open these contacts with a different program ? Or import the file to a different program ?
thx again

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You need Windows Explorer, NOT Windows Live Mail. Find the contacts list under c:\users\Yana\contacts.

Reaction score
I know where the file is - I need a program OTHER then Windows live mail that I can import the contacts to to work with them.
I can open the contacts on Windows live mail, but I need them in a csv file to work with them. The export to a csv does not work - it crashes.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Note that Windows Explorer "Contacts" is not used by Live Mail. It has it own table. Which is it you are trying to export?

From your post, I guess it is Live Mail?
It seems you are following the correct procedure, but, to recap.
Select, in Live Mail, The "Contacts" (Bottom left in the nav panel)
In the ribbon menu, over on the right, you have the option to import/export as a CSV file, to any chosen location. OK so far?
Further. If you have registered a Live mail login, you should be able to recover them by clicking you Live Mail login and selecting "View account info"

Reaction score
Note that Windows Explorer "Contacts" is not used by Live Mail. It has it own table. Which is it you are trying to export?
Select, in Live Mail, The "Contacts" (Bottom left in the nav panel)
In the ribbon menu, over on the right, you have the option to import/export as a CSV file, to any chosen location. OK so far?
Exactly this part does not work - the program does not export to CSV - too many addresses - and therefore eventually stops/crashes, and I can restart.....

Last edited by a moderator:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hmm. You must be a busy fellow. I havn't seen that fault before.
Try and untick all the items except for first name, last name, email. and, maybe, Home address. If it works, I am sorry but you may need to do some editing afterwards to get the info back.

Reaction score
... tried - just with First and Last Name and email.... doesn't work

any other suggestions ? any other program that I could import the contacts to ?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yana, if you email me your contacts file I will try to export it to a CSV file and email it back. I don't know if I will have any more luck then you but I'm willing to try if you want.

Last edited:

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Try this:

1) Hold the {Windows Key} and press the "Pause/Break" key to get into Windows settings
2) Click on advanced settings and click on the settings for the performance area
3) Choose the option for best performance, and you'll enter a windows classic view.

Open Windows Live, and once Open:
1) Hold {Windows Key} and press "R"
2) In this Run prompt, type in "taskmgr" and hit enter
3) In the processes tab, find the process for Windows Live
4) Right click > Set Priority > Choose "Realtime"

Try exporting the contacts now. You're CPU won't have to deal with the information for all of the graphical programming embedded in Windows Aero.

I don't use Windows Live, but i'm assuming it just wasn't built to handle that big of an export.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Actually as TrainableMan said I could probably export them for you as well. My PC specs are well above average, and I could probably do this for you.

Reaction score
Thanks - would love to just email the file, but 200 MB doesn't go thru my mail....

Regarding the changes on the performance, I did what you advise, however it does not give me the "Realtime", just the "High" Performance....
trying now again to export to csv - will come back what happened.

and no, I do not have a live messenger account.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Windows Explorer Contacts is totally separate from Windows Live Contacts.

Normally, you cannot "import" if the data has not been "exported" first.

To "convert" for use with a different client (Windows Live to Gmail for example), you might try renaming the ctt file to .txt or .csv then simply opening it - but I suspect there will still need to be a lot of manual editing to get it right.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The first has already been pointed out.
I dont think he has a problem with the csv handle. (That is the only export opportunity offered in Live Mail, by the way) I doubt changing that, if he was able, alone will help.. I am thinking there is something in his address list which the export progam does not understand

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tried to take only 3 fields (email and first and last name) - doesn't work.
Tried export to BusinessCards - doesn't work

(We are talking about exporting the contacts from Windows Live Mail on Vista to a .csv file or any other program)

Reaction score
Have you tried exporting one single contact? If that works you can rule out the possibility of something wrong with the export engine and so you can export the full file in chunks.

Alternatively you can try to go the Live login way as davehc has already suggested.

Good luck

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I dont think that is an option, if he has never had a live login, as it will be empty.
But isn't Windows Mail (ex Vista) in WAB format.? Live mail has the Facility to import WAb??

Ask a Question