contacts export not possible - help!

Reaction score
Its a .edb file - will try tomorrow if single contact export will work. nite..

Reaction score
An edb file?

I always thought the contacts were in the wab file (Windows Address Book).

The edb file is a database file of the indexing service. If you have enabled Windows Indexing, this file can become quite large.

If you only have the wab-file, you can import it via the built-in Contacts folder in Windows 7. To do this, browse to the Contacts folder in your Personal Folder. A quick way to get there is by pressing opening the Start Menu of Windows and click on your name at the right top.

Open the Contact folder and press on the Import button. Here you’ll have the option to import the wab-file by choosing the format: Windows Address Book File (Outlook Express contacts).

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
EDB is the normal default storage for Windows Live mail. It does not, as has been pointed out three times in this thread, use the username - Contact, folder."

Yana. The thread is suffering from some contradictions, I'm afraid. But if you have got an EDB (contacts ) file from Vista, why not copy and paste it to its live mail Folder in Windows 7?
The path is
D:\Users\usernamer\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Contacts

You will see another EDB file there. As a precaution, just copy it somewhere safe, so that you may return it if needed.

Reaction score
Dave, I need to export this EDB file to an CSV or any other kind of format, so I can work with it and send out my mailings.
At this moment I cannot even export a single address, not in CSV nor in VCF.
I am getting a USB-USB cable Sunday and will try to 'easy transfer' the file on my new laptop by importing it. Still I will need to export it to CSV.
I made a copy of the existing EDB, but if I cannot export it, it is of no use for me...:(

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Have you tried installing Thunderbird? If I recall correctly it asks if you want to import contacts from other email clients... I could be wrong, though, since I have never had the need to import them, but thought it might be worth the shot.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Would this work? It's designed for extracting and converting Live Messenger's contacts (edb file), but it doesn't require that Live Messenger even be installed, which to me suggests that as long as the database engine is installed, it just might work. It's freeware, too, so doesn't hurt to try. Supposedly it can convert edb to csv.

Ask a Question