Computer Randomly Crashes and Restarts

Reaction score
My computer keeps randomly restarting. It doesn't matter if I'm browsing the Internet or playing games it will just happen randomly. It crashes most frequently during the boot up after the initial crash. system repair will give me a few extra minutes but it eventually crashes again. When rebooting it will turn off and on and ONE of my case fans which is connected to my motherboard will flicker on and off. i have other fans connected to the board that do not do this.
I've never posted here so I'm not sure what I should include in this post but here are my parts.

Motherboard: gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ 970 R
Video Card: Radeon HD 7770 1G
Power Supply: Corsair HX750 750W
CPU: AMD Phenom II 3.4G AM3 R
Memory: 4Gx2 Vengeance
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA 6.0 32M
Windows 7 Home edition 64bit

Things I've done:
-booted in safe mode (still crashed and restarted)
-system restore (still crashed but less frequent)
-checked and secured power connections to the mother board
-sysstem repair (same as restore)
-Began a virus scan but computer crashed before it could finish
-checked CPU heat (remains 35-45 degrees Celsius even while playing games)

let me know what information I need to add.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I don't know if you have blank media handy, but I'm just wondering that if you boot into, say, Kaspersky Live CD (uses relatively old definitions, though) or a Linux live CD, will the system still crash/reboot?

Just trying to determine whether this is hardware or software-related.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, he reported he already tried several boot options, so I would start by verifying your power supply is good. You need to have it tested by a qualified technician, or swap in a known good PSU.

If your PSU is failing and falling out of tolerance, it can present itself as freezing, sudden shutdowns, or reboots.

You might also try running with just one stick of RAM at a time.

Reaction score
I'm currently testing it on one stick of RAM. What do I do if this fixes the problem? should I purchase new RAM?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What do I do if this fixes the problem? should I purchase new RAM?
Well, that will not fix the problem but tell you the problem is most likely with your RAM. And yes, I would recommend replacing all your RAM, or at least that pair, if you have more than 1 stick. This ensures the pair you install are at least compatible with each other.

Before buying new RAM, swap in the other stick(s) to see if it/they work solo too.

Ask a Question