Compatibility issues or something else?

Reaction score
So I've spent the entire day trying to get old games to work on my computer, and none have worked. I tried installing Age of Empires 2 and the expansion, and successfully got it installed, but I can't get it to load. The beginning loading screen pops up, and then I get an error saying that the game stopped working. I eventually gave up trying to get it to work (I tried compatibility mode, run as administrator, nothing worked) I noticed that this game isn't listed as compatible with Windows 7, so I didn't push it any further, even though I've seen other people playing it.
So I continued trying games, and got to Warcraft 3, which is on the list of compatible games. Once again I got through installation all right, and the same exact thing happened. The initial loading screen would come up and then Windows would say it stopped working and I had to shut it down. Once again I tried compatibility and running it as an administrator, and nothing worked.
I'm really at a loss here, and would be grateful for any help. If you could let me know what kind of information you'd need to help me out that would be great.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :)

Did you get an error when trying to run AOE2? I know that both of those games you mentioned will work under Windows 7, but may need a little tweaking.

So just to conform, you right clicked the AOE2 shortcut and applied XP SP3 mode and "run as administrator" and this made no difference?

Once you do have AOE2 working, you may also need this fix:
http://blog.macuyiko.com/2009/07/solving-color-problem-red-grass-purple.html

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome :)
Running it in XP SP3/Administrator mode made no difference. I got the same "Problem Details" from the tab you can open up when it asks if you want to close the program or check online for a solution.
I even tried messing with a whole bunch of other combination under compatibility and nothing seems to be working. Really quite a bummer... :(
The same thing is also happening with WC3, except that after the loading screen it'll go black, and then will "stop working."

Reaction score
I'd still like to get this issue solved, any suggestions anybody? Is there any information that could help solve this that you would need?

Reaction score
Something wrong in ur regidtry section so make ur registy clean by using reginout it will fix ur problem install the game & enjoy it

Ask a Question