Windows 7 compatibility issues

Reaction score
Hello !!

I am new to windows 7. Can anybody pl tell me the comatibility issues with win7 as compared to windows xp ? I was recently using windows XP and now going to purchase a dell inspiron with win 7 .

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As it's a new PC, you shouldn't find many (if any) compatibility problems - but it is primarily down to if you are running any old hardware or software. The printer you posted about in another thread should work fine.

If you do run in to any software problems, you can always try running the software in compatibility mode : https://www.w7forums.com/application-compatibility-mode-t314.html

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I LOVE it! A Dell De-Crapifier application! About time there was one specifically for DELLs junk!

I have used PC Decrapifier in the past on friends and clients computers, and it works great to get rid of the bloatware, now there's one for DELL.

Reaction score
Personally, I would NEVER buy a commercial computer because of all the crap that is loaded, and because a lot of the hardware and software are dedicated to that manufacturer. I have had three computers built by a local shop, all loaded with the operating system only. That way I choose exactly what I want to install, and what is more I always ask for a full installation disk. No messing about on expensive help lines in the event of a problem, just a quick telephone call to a friendly voice at the other end.:D

Reaction score
new seven user

Hello !!

I am new to windows 7. Can anybody pl tell me the comatibility issues with win7 as compared to windows xp ? I was recently using windows XP and now going to purchase a dell inspiron with win 7 .

Hold off until seven fixes all of its issues. Seven does not work well with xp machines. networking has new passwords and configuraations. non 64 hadware will not work without new updated drivers that manufacturers are not anxious to develop for older hardware. If you go seven plan on going ll new 7 machines and purchasing all new printers, scaners and the like.

Steve

new 7 user

Reaction score
I assume the unit you are interested in has Windows 7 Home Premium x64bit.
The security arrangement on Windows7 is different then XP, does not create a problem for user.
I have installed many utilities and programs that I used on Windows XPHome x86bit units, having little to no problem. Came across a few that could not be installed.

As an aside, Systemax puts together some rather good computers, Tiger Direct sells several different models.
The one I purchased had the basic OS and burner software. It came with all the disc.
This included OS (OEM) disc, Motherboard disc and DVD burner software disc.
Had a folder with all the drivers ie: sound, video etc.

Reaction score
Hold off until seven fixes all of its issues. Seven does not work well with xp machines. networking has new passwords and configuraations. non 64 hadware will not work without new updated drivers that manufacturers are not anxious to develop for older hardware. If you go seven plan on going ll new 7 machines and purchasing all new printers, scaners and the like.

Steve

new 7 user
My ten year old scanner and four year old printer both work perfectly well on Windows 7 with Vista drivers.:)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Over the past few months Ive come across quite a lot of whats considered old hardware that works well with Windows 7 :)

Reaction score
Over the past few months Ive come across quite a lot of whats considered old hardware that works well with Windows 7 :)
I even run Office 2000 with only one minor problem, in that I can't directly enter Adresses in Word from Outlook, but have to highlight/copy/paste.:)

Ask a Question