CHKDSK Help!

Reaction score
I've been having problems with "process stopped responding" errors locking up my computer and requiring a hard restart. In reading a few online suggestions, chkdsk /r was one of them.

I initiated it at a reboot and it appears to be running but in have no idea of the status because this is what my monitor displays.

How will I know when it's complete? Will system reboot? How long does process take with a 1TB drive?

Attachments

Reaction score
I have 2 WD Caviar Black 1.0 TB. hard drives on my pc. Check Disk takes anywhere from 3 hrs. 13 mintes to 3 1/2 hours per drive. Yes, your pc will automatically restart when Check Disk finishes running.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Chkdsk can take many hours - even more than a full day on a large drive in some cases.

When it completes, it will say so and report how many clusters it has fixed and recovered.

That said, it does not seem to be running - at least according to your monitor - but that could be just a resolution sync problem and nothing to do with the drive. Is the drive indicator light showing any activity?

Ask a Question