Cant run CHKDSK

Reaction score
I am trying to run CHKDSK on my "IBM" T60 laptop running W7. This is a subset of a more general problem - speed. I have a 3 mbps DSL port. If I run W7 with its normal startup, the OS is very slow and surfing the net with latest Explorer is very slow or hangs. If I start in Safe mode with Network Support, the system incl Explorer is fast. Ex: Normal :eek:pen Google-15 sec; Safe with Network- 1-2 sec. As part of trying to find the problem, I got a briefly flashed message that said I needed to run CHKDSK due to problems on my C: drive. When I go through the detailed steps, incl Run as Admin, and run at startup, CHKDSK starts after Win 7 enters startup and I am given the message that CHKDSK has been cancelled. I need help to run CHKDSK!

Reaction score
Go back to safe mode, run a full virus scan.
Recommend using Malwarebytes. The best in the business.
If you don't have it, here is the download link.....
http://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/
Download the free edition. You can buy the paid version later if you like it that much.

After virus scan and removal of anything it catches, run the disk check again.

Reaction score
Have tried the virus scan. Found 0. Will try the system file check Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
How much RAM does your computer have?

A computer will never run as fast with all the services running as it will in safe mode, it's not possible. You can help by disabling all the excess junk that programs like adobe & google add to the start-up to make sure their software is up-to-date.

Reaction score
Finally gave up and used brute force. Saved my data, cleaned drive, and reinstalled OS. Presently reloading data. Runs like a bandit. So much better response.
My thanks to all that responded to my thread. Your suggestions have provided new tools for future adventures.

I'll get an avatar up asap. I have a new British Golden Retriever and he is too smart for his own good. He may take over this machine soon.

Ask a Question