2tb internal chkdsk Failure!

Reaction score
I cannot delete anything off the drive. Have not tried installing anything. That would be counterproductive.

Hello, I have tried running this thing through the gui and the commad prompt, in windows, in safe mode and in safe mode command prompt. I even went as far as downloading lock dismounter. I received countless errors, including access denied. My process was,

The administrator driven command prompt in this sequence. C:\Windows\System32>chkdsk x:/f
response:
The type of file system is exFAT.
Volume Serial Number is 2C7E-22C5

C:\Windows\System32>
then:
C:\Windows\System32>chkdsk x:/r
response:
The type of the file system is exFAT.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk May run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? <Y/N>
response:
Volume dismounted. ALL opened handles to this volume are now invalid.

then:
response:

then:
C:\Windows\System32>chkdsk x:/x
response:

So:
C:\Windows\System32>x:

X:\>
X:\>chkdsk
response:
This volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk might report errors when no corruption is present.

So:
X:\>chkdsk x:/x
response:
Cannot lock current drive.

So:
response
This volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk might report errors when no corruption is present.

ECT.

It does the same thing in safemode commad prompt and in safe mode... PLease HELP!

I even tried this.. SFC /SCANNOW Command

Reaction score
chkdsk failure primary partition (access denied)

Hi

I noticed this problem when I tried to delete something off the drive, then I tried to run an antivirus scan and it gave me an error if incapacity to delete viruses due to a dirty disk and that I should run chkdsk.

So I right clock on the drive and attempt check now. It tells me that it must first dismount the drive before it can do so and asks if I would like to force a dismount. To which I respond yes. Then, the window disappears and I hear no word or see no signs of any chkdsk happening. Naturally I reboot the terminal expecting fire-works and chemistry, but get greeted by the sound of windows starting up again.

I have tried the administrator driven command prompt in this sequence. C:\Windows\System32>chkdsk x:/f
response:

then:
response:
The type of the file system is exFAT.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk May run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? <Y/N>
response:

then:
response:

then:
C:\Windows\System32>chkdsk x:/x
response:

So:
C:\Windows\System32>x:

response:

So:
X:\>chkdsk x:/x
response:
Cannot lock current drive.

So:
response

ECT.

It does the same thing in safemode commad prompt and in safe mode... PLease HELP!

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
What are you trying to do with this drive? You would probably need a third party disk tool... have you already tried booting to the windows 7 install disc and using the Windows Recovery Environment's command prompt to run chkdsk?

And why is this drive formatted with exFAT? You should only use NTFS... I'd suggest reformatting the drive to NTFS as that may help with your problems. The OS should especially not be installed on an exFAT formatted disk.

Reaction score
It is a storage drive. I cannot delete anything off it nor can I load anything on it. it says the drive is dirty and gives me a 0x80071AC3

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Okay, but again what are you trying to do with this drive? Do you need to recover data off of it? Was this an OS drive?

Reaction score
Never an OS, in my possession. It is second hand. I need to be able to USE it. Add and remove data from it. Which I currently cannot do. It tells me the drive is dirty and I need to run a chkdsk but it always fails to do so and when I try to do it from command prompt, it tells me access denied.

Reaction score
I need to access the current Data, and add more to my tally. I do not have another drive I can back it up to though

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The only data recovery software I ever used was Stellar Phoenix. It is not free but, at least when I used it, it could tell me the files it would recover before I had to pay for it. It might be worth downloading just to see if it can see anything.

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Since you need to recover data, here's a list of free programs you may try although I would suggest you go with TrainableMan's suggestion first since he's used it and because it will tell you if you can recover what you need. Link

After you've recovered the files you will need to do a full reformat on the drive. You can forget about chkdisk as formatting will fix that problem. Here's a Guide for doing so... and make sure to use NTFS!

Ask a Question