SOLVED Change the order in which USB devices are started

Reaction score
Hi,

After replacing my old mouse and keyboard with a USB-connected mouse and keyboard now when I boot/reboot Windows I'm not able to use either one of them for about one minute until I eventually hear the same sound you get when you're plugging/unplugging a USB device.

My guess is that some of the other USB devices I have connected to my computer takes some time to be started/initialized by Windows and since my mouse and keyboard are behind this/these devices in the queue I won't be able to use them until the other devices are initialized and recognized by Windows.

So...my question now is - is there anyway I can manually change the order in which Windows starts/initializes my USB devices making sure the mouse and keyboard are first in the line since these two are the most important USB devices to be able to start using the computer without having to wait for a minute or two evertime I boot/reboot my PC?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :)

Have you confirmed your suspicions by removing all USB devices, other than your keyboard and mouse?

I wouldn't have thought that Windows would need to initialise them one by one, and I'm very surprised that your keyboard/mouse take so long to start working (I'm assuming it works fine during boot for things like the BIOS & Boot options?). I'd be interested if you could try removing the other devices to see if that is indeed the problem. :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Did you check the BIOS and make sure you enabled USB mouse and keyboard options in the Peripherals section of the BIOS?

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys!

I'm happy to tell you I managed to solve the problem by doing the following:

1. Shut down the computer and then unplugged all USB devices except for the mouse and the keyboard

2. Started the computer to verify if the problem was still there which is was not, the mouse and the keyboard responded directly at the logon screen without any delay

3. Logged into Windows and then plugged 2 of the disconnected USB devices in and let Windows discover them, then I shut down the computer again

4. Restarted the computer and verified if the problem was there which is was not.

I then repeated these above steps and to my big joy I now have all 10 USB devices reconnected to the computer and it still works and the one-minute delay of the mouse and keyboard at boot is gone!

I've tried this before but last time I reconnected the USB devices into the same USB ports they were in originally while I this time tried to mix them a bit so it appears what fixed it this time was either the order in which I connected them and let Windows discover them or otherwise it was which USB device was plugged into which USB port or maybe a mix of both.

Problem solved :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's great news that you've got it fixed :) Thanks for reporting back with the answer :D

Reaction score
NP, just happy if my solution will help someone else with a similar problem :)

Ask a Question