Change Flash Drive Icon

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a little tutorial on how to have one same customized icon on all computers for your external HD or flash drive. Yes, I know this tutorial was made in XP, but it works on any Windows version.

Doing this consists on putting two files in the root of your HD or flash drives. The two files are:

1. autorun.inf
  2. logo.ico
So first of all, the autorun.inf file. Simple enough, just create a autorun.inf file in notepad with this inside:
[autorun]
ICON=LOGO.ICO

Secondly, the .ico file. You can create your own or download one from the internet. I got mine from here:

http://interfacelift.com/icons/downloads/date/any/

Then just put the two files in the root of your HDD or flash drive and you're done! You can also mark the files as hidden, so that they do not showup in your HD or flash drive.

You should get a result like this: (sorry, no win7. My parents still have my computer, but I know it works)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Great little tutorial there FC! I have done this in the past, only I put icon in a "system" folder I would create. There's really not any difference between the two, just a different method is all. Both work very well.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Also, a nice thing about the autorun.inf file is that you can add other parameters.
Eg:
[autorun]
icon=software.ico
label=MySoftware
open=software.exe
The "label" code changes the flash drive's name to what ever is after, in this case, the flash drive is "virtually" ranamed to "MySoftware". The "open" code runs software.exe the moment you plug in the flash drive.
Etc...

Also, you can get the icon from a .exe or .dll file.
Eg:
[autorun]
icon=mysoftware.exe, 6
or

[autorun]
icon=mydll.dll, 87

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of configurable features for sure.

Here's a Snagit screen capture of my Patriot XT Flash Drive after configuring it with a thumb drive icon.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of configurable features for sure.

Here's a Snagit screen capture of my Patriot XT Flash Drive after configuring it with a thumb drive icon.

Nice :)

I'm probably going to change my HD's icon to something random... A pie or a bowl of cornflakes... :D

Edit: Ah... Actually, I went for bamboo:

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Here's another Snagit screen capture of my Computer window open showing all my available drives.

The only thing I didn't have plugged in is my Meizu MP4 Audio - Video portable player.

I think I have enough storage space now! :cool:

Reaction score
I've used desktop.ini files to put a background in folders under xp before, but the other day i was googleing and found a tool for 7 that does the same thing it's pretty cool BTW nice tutorial :)

Ask a Question