Cant install new printer drivers on vista.Plse Hlp!

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post so please excuse my ignorance as I am a novice at best when it comes to computers. I just bought a new epson nx420 printer. When i put the installation disk in it went thru all the motions until an error msg popped up and said windows encountered a prob and could not install the drivers..I spent 3.5 hrs on the phone between epson and HP(my com. manufac) I installed epson's 3 times of their site to have the same results. HP finally told me that there is something that is blocking "peer" software from downloading. She mummbled a bunch of registry talk at me, and then told me they could fix the prob for $160.00. Welll thats when i knew i had been outsourced to a third party trying to get cc info from me so I just hung up. I am running Vista 64bit and need some help! I really need to be able to print things for work..can anyone help..thank you..

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
This is a Windows 7 site, but most problems are similar.
First, ensure you are using 64Bit drivers.
Disable both your firewall(s) and antivirus and try again. Perhaps the installation is trying to fetch something from the web and is being blocked.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well this is a Windows 7 forum, not Vista but the installation would be relatively the same.

It sounds like they concluded that your ports or file downloads are being blocked; this can be done by a router, by windows firewall, by your anti-virus; by spam/ad-blockers; by software such a peerblock; or even by your hosts file if it is blocking certain websites the software references to download. With the possible exception of Windows Firewall, none of these things would have been set by HP and therefore would not be their responsibility to fix for free.

HP didn't sell you the printer so it is quite reasonable for them to charge money to help you install another companies product. Many internet providers have also gotten into this remote computer repair; mine offers to sell me an annual service to do just that.

Anyway, moving on to try and help you with your problem. What anti-virus software are you running? Do you have any ad/spam-blockers installed? Are you logged on as an Administrator?

I assume Vista has UAC (User Account Control) like W7. I would log on as an administrator, disable your anti-virus/firewall software, lower UAC settings to OFF and then try to install.

Ask a Question