SOLVED Can't get .net framework security update - error 80073712

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Microsoft .NET Framework Security Update in Windows Update - the exact name is Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2931356). But whenever I install it, I get an 80073712 error. I have done a Google search on it and ran the System Update Readiness Tool, repairing the framework and the Microsoft Fix-It tool. I have .NET 4.5.1 installed so I'm not sure if I really need that update.

What should I do?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try booting to a W7 Installation DVD and from the Install menu chose "system repair" from the bottom corner. Then try your update again.

Reaction score
Did you mean running an in-place (upgrade) install? Because that's what I did. And it worked! Thanks!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's exactly the same thing, from my install menu it's called "system repair", but hey, if it worked it's all good. Glad you got it worked out.

Ask a Question