Can't find ChkDsk results file

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

any help on this would be appreciated.

Currently running Win 7 Home Premium with 2 external HDs holding all my data - music, movies, games etc.

Logged into windows last night and it said I needed to run a checkdisk on the main external HD as it had found errors. I clicked OK and it started to perform a chkdsk. After a few hours I popped in to check and it had completed and had a results page. It told me it had fixed some files and restored some files to a "found" location. Before I could fully read & get the locations of the Found folder or the log file, it closed and went to the desktop. From what I saw it looked like it had deleted corrupt mp3 files and some jpg images, but had restored some also.

I've tried everything to find the log file to read the full breakdown and find where it has restored things but I cannot find it at all. I've searched other forums for an answer but again can't find where it is.

I've search in Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application but there is no "wininit" under the source column.

There is a chkdsk event for yesterday but I can't see any specific information as to what it has done and if it has recorded a full log?

I've also searched for *.log, *.txt and a few other extensions through the search option but cannot find anything.

Is there any way I can find the log file created and see if there is a way I can view the "Found" folder and retrieve any files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Tony

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
TonyMacaroni, welcome to the forums! That's something that I've never found, either. You run it, it shows the results so fast that you don't get the chance to read it all, doesn't give the option to print, either. A few months ago, I looked all over every forum that I could find (I was running XP at the time). I'd still like to know the answer to that myself.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have never used the function in 7, but it used to put the "found.000 " in the root of previous OS's, as you probably know.
But, reading the Help in 7, it says:
"the log is in the event viewer, applications, under "wininit"

I could not see it, but that could be because I have not run it.
Fwiw, the "found.000" would be a system file, so you would have to enable those to see it in the view.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If I have ever felt worried about the computer and felt the need to run this facility, I have alway had to try and be at the computer right at the end of the scan. There is then about two seconds to see the result. Before running the scan there does not appear to be a setting to show a log and end result. A bad cock up on the part of Microsoft.:confused:

Ask a Question