Cant connect to internet unless in safemode with networking

Reaction score
OK, so I have recently wiped my hard drive (7 pass process) and I have reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium. I then proceeded to update to SP1. Everything is good so far. Then, I found a page on here that had useful programs to download (Located Here). "SWEET!" I thought. So I downloaded a bunch of them. Soon after a restart, I couldn't connect to the internet via Firefox 4.0 or IE8. However, Avast still seems to be able to update as well as Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware. So I tried to do what I think is a "clean boot" (I remember reading something about it some time ago). I opened msconfig then clicked "Selective Startup" then clicked on the "Services" tab. After that I clicked on the "Hide all Microsoft Services" then enabled the first half and disabled the second half of my services and the restarted. This did not work. So I repeated the steps but enabled second half and disabled the first half. Still nothing. I then booted into Safemode with Networking and that seems to be the only way I can connect to the internet. I have tired using Malwarebyte's and Avast to both scan my computer and it still say it's clean. Can anyone help me? I wasn't exactly what to publish as far as system information or things like that so they are available on demand. Thanks for the help!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Update~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have researched a bunch from google and have gone to other forums and it seems that no one has such luck. Please help me friends!

P.S.
I am normally on sevenforums.com and not on here so much. So I am sorry if I am late to reply.

Reaction score
Hi Dragonpoet - Welcome to w7forums

What exactly have you tried?

Have you installed the latest network drivers?

What is your configuration?
Are you wireless or wired?
Onboard or dedicated card?
Do you know which chipset your network is using?

Reaction score
Hi Dragonpoet - Welcome to w7forums

What exactly have you tried?

Have you installed the latest network drivers?

What is your configuration?
Are you wireless or wired?
Onboard or dedicated card?
Do you know which chipset your network is using?
I have done scans with MalwareBytes, Avast, Sophos Anti-Rootkit, and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool using a Full/Deep scan on all drives. I have also updated my ethernet driver.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64. And attached is an image of my system information using Speccy.

P.S. I am running 2 graphics cards. The ATI is on my systemboard and I am using a GeForce GT 220 on my PCI-E slot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's not unusual even in Safe Mode with Networking, since many services are not running in safe mode. Can you connect in normal mode without issues?

Ask a Question