SOLVED Can't access one webpage

Reaction score
Suddenly last week I can't access one webpage which I use a lot. I have tried in explorer and chrome and rebooted the computer and unplugged the router and waited before plugging it in again. I can access it on my husbands computer which uses the same router so it must be my computer. I use MSE and run Malwarebytes and CCcleaner fairly often. Everything else is working fine. I know I could do a system restore but I would prefer to see how to make my computer allow me to access it. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Does it not load at all or is it loading partially and failing to show properly?

Do you think there maybe changes made to security settings, keeping the page from loading?

Reaction score
It doesn't load at all IE cannot display the webpage and the equivalent in Chrome. I have run Malwarbytes and maybe it happened after that, but it is just this 1 page. I think it may be a change to the security settings but I can't see from the trouble shooting how to tell the security to allow this page. It's a kennel club website, so nothing dodgy.

Reaction score
Which site exactly is it?

Look up the IP address for the site and see if you can gain access directly. I believe this will bypass the DNS server.

DNSWatch

When you find the IP address, type the IP address in the address bar. This will work the same as typing the address out.

Reaction score
OK the IP didn't work for me either but the link you provided did load.

I'm at a loss to be honest at why the one page and only one page doesn't load. The only thing I can think of is the storage of DNS in local cache on your machine. You said you ran CCleaner, did you set it to clear the system DNS cache?

Reaction score
No, just looked and it's not ticked! I'll see if I get any more replies which may spark an idea. Thanks very much for your help so far. What do you think of doing a system restore? I'm always a bit nervous to do one for a "small" problem. The only thing is I need the site every few days.

Reaction score
If I look up the IP address it goes to

195.191.24.151 Whois

%ERROR:201: access denied for 87.230.55.47
%
% Sorry, access from your host has been permanently
% denied because of a repeated excessive querying.
% Please see http://www.ripe.net/db/err201.html
% for more information.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If I run a DNS on www.cpc.pt I do get the IP you specified but if I try to access the site by that IP I get ...
If you feel you have reached this page in error, please contact the web site owner:
(e-mail address removed)
It may be possible to restore access to this site by following these instructions for clearing your dns cache.

If you are the web site owner, it is possible you have reached this page because:

• The IP address has changed.
  • There has been a server misconfiguration.
  • The site may have been moved to a different server.
If you are the owner of this website and were not expecting to see this page, please contact your hosting provider.
However, like Clifford, I do make connection if I use www.cpc.pt

So it is possible your IP is banned but try clearing your DNS cache to see if that helps.

Reaction score
Thanks very much, I tried clearing the DNS cache successfully but still no access. Sometimes I have an unconscious brainwave in the night and the solution comes to me in the morning!!!

Reaction score
I still have no access to this particular website, please, any ideas?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you rebooted your computer just in case it's some odd glitch?

Try using a proxy server to access the site.
Example: Foundhide.com
In the middle of the page enter the www.cpc.pt site and click "visit"

If you can get there that way then there are two possibilities, I can think of:
- There is a problem with the DNS server you are using. You said your husband's computer works, so is he using the same DNS server as you?
- Or maybe you are banned from the site. Try emailing the site administrator, provide your IP address, and ask if you were banned and could they tell you why and ask if it would be possible to have it removed. (I couldn't read the site but normally there is contact information available somewhere on the site.)

Reaction score
Yes, many thanks, I can get there from foundhide. My husband is using the same DNS server as me. Do I deduce I have somehow been banned? I will email the site administrator, is that at the CPC or is it the server in Ukraine?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If the site works on your husbands computer (and it uses the same router), then it's not likely they've banned your IP address but they could have left a cookie that prevents access (although it sounds like you've already cleared these). From looking at the site it doesn't look like somewhere that would do this.

Do you have any entries in your hosts file?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

Also, what happens if you visit the site you mentioned but don't use the "www." at the front?

Just as an aside, a handy site to check if a server is down is www.alertra.com - it will check the site from several remote locations and provide you with any error details. I checked that site and it came up fine, but in other similar instances it may be handy.

Reaction score
I don't think they would ban me deliberately as I enter and pay for their shows via the website and presumably they need the money. It must be a mistake. I have emailed them through foundhide and await their reply.

Reaction score
If the site works on your husbands computer (and it uses the same router), then it's not likely they've banned your IP address but they could have left a cookie that prevents access (although it sounds like you've already cleared these). From looking at the site it doesn't look like somewhere that would do this.

Do you have any entries in your hosts file?:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

Also, what happens if you visit the site you mentioned but don't use the "www." at the front?

Just as an aside, a handy site to check if a server is down is www.alertra.com - it will check the site from several remote locations and provide you with any error details. I checked that site and it came up fine, but in other similar instances it may be handy.
Thanks for your help. I tried it without the www. and no joy, I don't quite understand the wikipedia bit, do I put my email address instead of file?
Would it help if I ran cCleaner and deleted cookies again?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think clearing cookies would help, I just mentioned it as it's a possible way of being banned from a site (as another PC on the same IP can connect ok).

To open the "hosts" file, browse to %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\ and then open it in wordpad. This can overwride normal DNS resolution, but again I doubt this would be the problem - but it looks like most other things have been tried so I thought it may be worth checking.

If you go to the command prompt, what output do you get when running "tracert cpc.pt"? You may be able to save the result to a text file by doing "tracert pcp.pt > output.txt" if it helps.

I'd also try restarting your router, just in case :).

Reaction score
If you go to the command prompt, what output do you get when running "tracert cpc.pt"? You may be able to save the result to a text file by doing "tracert pcp.pt > output.txt" if it helps

After I run it the "blackboard" flashes up momentarily then disappears.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, can you try pressing "Windows Key + R" to bring up the run box and then run "cmd". Now paste the following in to the black screen:

tracert pcp.pt > C:\Users\%username%\Desktop\output.txt
Once that has run after about 10 seconds, just close the window. There should be a file on your desktop called output.txt. Can you paste the contents in to a reply?

Ask a Question