Canon i860 printer USB driver

Reaction score
I am able to get my Canon i860 printer using USB connection to work with Windows 7. I download the driver from Canon, but the Canon driver does not show any connection using USB, it only shows parallel port or comm port only.

At least I could get this Canon i860 USB printer to work in Vista.

Your advices are much appreciated.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You probably have to point the printer to the USB port through the Device & Printers button then click on the printer and a window opens up with a few options shown.

Choose "Customize Printer" and click on it and you'll see a tab with "Ports" listed.

Click that tab and then select the USB port and go from there.

Also, make sure your printer is turned on so the port is getting an active feed from the printer.

Reaction score
For my Canon i860 USB printer, I downloaded the Canon driver aomwin32us.exe version 1.01 of 3-12-2010. But this Canon driver only let me use parallel and comm port, and do not allow me to use USB port. I cannot open any other port or customize this driver.

What should I do?
I email canon, but did not get any response. Is there any Win 7 team for Canon i860 USB printer driver help?

In fact, most of my hardware drivers do not work in Windows 7. But I urgently need to use the printer. Very disappoint with Win 7.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What happens when you connect your printer via the USB cable, does Windows 7 detect any device or prompt you for drivers at all?

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, when I plug my Canon i860 printer into the USB port, the Win 7 (I have 32 bit Ultimate) will start searching for driver. Eventually, I have to go online and download this exact same Canon driver at this offical Cannon location:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...loadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=331&modelid=9387
So, when I select the OS to Windows 7 (I do not have 64 bit system)
when I click on aomwin110ea23us.exe (for version 1.10, file size 4.10MB, date posted 3/12/2010), I will be downloading the driver at:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...loadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=331&modelid=9387
After I download the driver, and run it as administrator, this driver will only allow me to search printer at ports: parallel ports and comm ports. It does not allow me to set the driver to USB port because the USB is not included in the list of i860 connecting ports.

The above Nibiru2012 printer menu is for Vista driver, because the I am using this Canon i860 printer running in Vista OS.

Is there somebody at Canon I can write to about this problem?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Yes, call their tech support, that's what they are there for!

Hopefully you won't get some guy in India named "Tom".

Reaction score
well, I do not understand the purpose of checking out Windows 7 Compatibility site.

We have many Canon i860 printers in this entire office building and many in local offices around the country. We got these USB printers and working well in Vista. And Microsoft Win 7 just do not support these printers. Conclusion, Microsoft just do not make their OS to work with existing printers and scanners. Yuck.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually, that's exactly the contrary of the reality.

Windows 7 was designed to find all drivers for hardware automaticly, but it happens that a specific driver for a printer isn't found by Windows. After that, it's all about the hardware compatibility.

Which OS do you have? If you have pro, you should be able to run the printer drivers from within XP Mode.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
young707, welcome to the forum! You stated that you have 32 bit Ultimate, Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode has your name written on it. I can't see why XP Mode won't run that printer. It has helped many run older hardware and software, it should you, too. Just use your favorite search engine, type "Windows Virtual PC" w/o the quotes, see what you think of the program. What you get is a virtual copy of XP Pro SP3, it will do all that the regular one does, it's pre-activated, and it's all free. Check it out. Should you require further assistance with this, please post back, I have experience with this program, and will try to help.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I don't think that they want to do "XP Mode" on all those desktops.

Have they tried using the Vista driver?

With as many printers as you state, call Canon tech support and see what they suggest. I know its a shot in the dark, but that just may work.

Reaction score
I am using Windows Ultimate 7 32 bits.

I found this Microsoft OS does not compatible with ALL the previously purchased hardware we have in our 4 story office building. We found all the the drivers for all our HP scanners, HP deskjet printers, Canon printers are NOT compatible with Win 7.

Can you please tell me exactly how to run the drivers in XP modes? Thank you.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Can you please tell me exactly how to run the drivers in XP modes? Thank you.
young707 - I would recommend that you talk to Catilley1092, he has a lot of experience regarding XP mode on Windows 7 Pro. You might try to PM him.

I think davehc has some experience with this also, but I may be mistaken.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
My canon i860 runs fine via USB connection. I have win 7 Home edition 64 bit.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Kalario, can you please tell me what driver do you use?

I am running Win 7 ultimate 32 bits.

For my Canon i860 USB printer, I downloaded the Canon driver aomwin32us.exe ver 1.01 of 3-12-2010. But this Canon driver only let me use parallel and comm port, and do not allow me to use USB port. What should I do?
I email canon, but did not get any response. Is there any Win 7 team for Canon i860 USB printer driver help?
Thank you.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Young707 - I would call Canon, if you're able to. It would make your situation go a lot faster I believe.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
young707...if someone tells me how to find out what driver I have for my printer, I'll let you know.

Update: I just installed win7 home premium 64 bit on another laptop, and when I plugged the printer in the USB port, it recognized it and printed just fine. Didn't need to download any drivers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is no Canon driver support for their printer web site. Any idea how to email contact them?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...yid=331&modelid=9387&default_os=windows_vista

There is a "contact us" link in little print at the bottom of the page

BUT

I think if you listened to Nibs advice you would have it working by now.
1. Install the Win 7 32 bit driver with parallel port option!
2. Control panel - Device & Printers
3. Right click on the canon printer
4. Choose "Customize Printer" and click on it
5. Select the "Ports" tab
6. Change it to USB
7. Save/Apply/click OK

Then try it!

Ask a Question