Canon i860 printer USB driver

Reaction score
Thank you.
But only for Canon i860 printers using parallel & Serial ports.
NOT for connecting this printer using USB port.
For some reason, they forgot or omitted connecting this Canon i860 using USB port.
However, they fix this problem in the Vista driver and allow i860 printer to use the USB port.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Young707, I am actually running win 7 home edition, and I have my cannon i860 connected via USB and is working just fine.

Why don't you try what Nibiru suggested doing.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Windows 7 was designed to find all drivers for hardware automaticly
FC - basically that statement is true to some extent. However, one really needs to install the specific drivers for the motherboard and it's associated on-board chips. Such as Intel or AMD chipset drivers, on-board sound such as Realtek, NIC or LAN drivers, on-board video drivers, etc.

The chipset makers drivers are far superior to anything supplied by Microsoft and if MS does have a certain hardware driver many times it will be over several months to a year or more out of date.

One should never rely on MS to be the sole provider of hardware drivers.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thank you.
But only for Canon i860 printers using parallel & Serial ports.
NOT for connecting this printer using USB port.
For some reason, they forgot or omitted connecting this Canon i860 using USB port.
However, they fix this problem in the Vista driver and allow i860 printer to use the USB port.
Well then, USE THE VISTA DRIVER!! Nearly all Vista drivers are compatible in Windows 7 so try it and see.

Don't get me wrong here... but you're really stubborn about all of this and we've all given you suggestions, comments, and help; yet you are keeping the "blinders on" so to speak and not seeing the forest for the trees!

Have you TRIED anything that's been suggested?

Are you WILLING to try, it wouldn't hurt now would it?

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Young707

We are trying hard to help you here, but you need to at least try some of the suggestions and let us know.

This way if someone else has the same issue, they could benefit if we get a resolution.

Let us know how you do.

Cheers

Reaction score
OK. Please explain more. I should install the Canon i860 Vista drivers using the Vista compatiable mode correct? Thanks.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Just install the drivers and you should be okay. Have you tried installing them yet?

Vista compatible mode should not be necessary.

Reaction score
This Canon Win 7 driver aomwin110ea23us.exe ver 1.10 3-12-2010 in Canon web site does NOT allow USB port.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I thought you were going to install the Vista driver?

Maybe you need put down whatever it is you're smoking in your avatar photo... LOL!

Hasta La Vista...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you only print a few pages per month, you can buy a cheap printer that is Windows 7 compliant for about $25-$50. It will cost more for better features, faster printing etc. This is my recommended solution.

And now for something completely different ...
A lady calls the Dell help desk and says her computer went dead. Tech support has her try the monitors power switch, no luck. They have her check the monitor cable is connected. They have her try the computers power button. They ask her if the plug might have come out. She says I can't tell it's under the desk. They ask if she could crawl under. She says I can't see it's dark under here. They ask if she could turn on a light. She says No, there is a thunderstorm and the electricity went out. The tech says Please pack up the computer and mail it back to us. She says Oh it's that bad. He says, I'm afraid so, you're too stupid to own a computer. (This is an old tech support joke. I doubt it's true but it makes me laugh.)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
TM - That's old as the hills and twice as dusty!

Reaction score
When I execute the Canon i860 Vista driver, same result, no USB port. This driver only allow parallel and com ports.

Well, we have quite a few Canon i860 printers here in this office building and in many branch offices across the country.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Despite this old thread, I thought others may be helped with this info. So I'm posting this reply. I had the same problem as young707. My machine is running Win 7 64-bit and nothing worked. I couldn't even find some of the options that were mentioned in this thread to enable USB port. But I found this thread on Microsoft Answers: http://social.answers.microsoft.com...e/thread/5973c666-c701-4058-9047-b9683341e137. Despite the caveat posted there, I followed the instructions explicitly. Magically, the i860 driver was installed, with all the printer maintenance options that were available under Win XP. Pretty satisfied with that as I thought the i860 was a goner under Win 7.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
tedchinn, You might want to edit that to "thread". I don't want to threaten you with another bad joke like the one I posted above

Reaction score
Oops. My bad. Thanks, TrainableMan for catching my typo. I made the edit you suggested.

Reaction score
Found a work around

Hi All,

I own a canon printer inkjet i860 series.
I was able to network this printer through by Airport Extreme on my 2 Windows XP Pro computers. Please note that I am installing as networked printer.

However, I was not able to install it (initially) on my Windows 7 (64 bits) computer.

Like others, I installed the driver from Canon web site:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...ction/i_series/i860_series#DriversAndSoftware
but then I could not see it in the list.

Work Around (it is not perfect, but I least you can print):
- After much test, I found out that the driver for the Canon MP800 printer is able to print documents on my canon i860.

I get an error when I print ("Printer not responding") but the document print properly.

Jocelyn

Reaction score
I see I'm late to this party but I have the same issue. My laptop running W7 doesn't even recognize the printer as a printer--it calls it an unknown device. I downloaded the drivers but since it's not a "printer"...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you can get the driver installed then it would likely change from unknown to printer but as you can read above, getting it to install properly can be a challenge. Unfortunately older hardware is often purposely dismissed by the manufacturers because they want to sell new equipment; you may need to consider buying newer hardware if you cannot get it to work.

Microsoft does have the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor for people considering upgrading and it will warn of most unsupported programs and hardware but unfortunately most users do not find out about this utility until they have already converted and found out the hard way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
got it solved

I tried a different cable--it didn't like the one I had used in the front of the printer.

Voila!

Ask a Question