Canon scanner incompatibility with W7 64bit

Reaction score
Hi All

My Canon 8000F scanner is incompatible with W7 64 bit and I'm trying to get around it. Have loaded VM lite in XP mode as suggested elsewhere in the forums but still having difficulty. VM lite / Devices shows the scanner present yet the USB node says no devices attached. When trying to use the scanner from the Canon toolbox, or photo applications, it says 'unable to connect to TWAIN source'. Have also tried with my HP printer, which is compatible with W7, but this will not function either through VM Lite (both printer & scanner software was loaded in VM Lite). I have also loaded some GPS mapping software (incompatible with W7) through VM Lite and this does work - it just seems to be the USB hardware that's the problem. Is there a driver available somewhere that would enable the scanner to work directly in W7 64bit?

Any help that anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is there a driver available somewhere that would enable the scanner to work directly in W7 64bit?
According to the Microsoft compatibility center there is no 64-bit driver so the answer to your question would be NO.

There are however 32-bit drivers so you might consider using W7 32-bit instead but I think using a virtual environment is a better idea.

I don't use VMLite, I use Microsoft's Virtual PC but I can see in my W7 Device manager that there is a "USB Virtual Connection" and I can only assume that is a driver for Virtual PC to see my USB devices so I'm thinking you still need to tweak the VMLite to see your USB ports. Virtual PC no longer requires Hardware Virtualization but VMLite might and this would be something that needs to be enabled on your machine's BIOS. Unfortunately not all machines support Hardware Virtualization so you may want to check out this Microsoft Article.

If your machine doesn't support hardware virtualization then if you have 4GB of memory or less you might consider switching to 32-bit -or- even easier, just buy a new scanner.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Hmm, I read another thread you were in and it says VMLite doesn't need hardware virtualization? So I don't know. Hopefully somebody else has an idea.

I would also remove your canon and twain drivers and try reinstalling - you mentioned something weird but that you finally got it installed; there may be a problem there.

If that doesn't solve it then I think if you do have the ability to turn on Hardware Virtualization that you might try it anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you have Windows Professional or Ultimate, I think Microsoft changed XPMode so it no longer requires Hardware Virtualization.

Read the whole story - Microsoft Accelerates Desktop Virtualization
Windows XP Mode no longer requires hardware virtualization technology. This change simplifies the experience by making virtualization more accessible to many more PCs for small and midsize businesses wanting to migrate to Windows 7 Professional or higher editions, while still running Windows XP-based productivity applications.
Read the whole story - Microsoft Accelerates Desktop Virtualization

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Clifford is correct, I know Virtual PC - XP mode does not require Hardware Virtualization but what I read in that other thread says VMLite doesn't require it either.

As Clifford mentioned, if you have W7 Professional or higher than you might try Virtual PC instead of VMLite but your computer specs say you have Home Premium.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The version of W7 is Home Premium for which I don't think Microsoft allows its virtual software. With regards to the earlier post re the driver - on installation the file extracted from the zip folder but nothing appeared in the TWAIN_32 folder. My other PC (with XP) had died but I could still boot it in safe mode so I copied the driver from there into the folder on the new machine, both the W7 Twain folder and also the one shown in virtual XP. This is obviously insufficient. With regards to virtualising (?) the hardware, I don't know how to do this, let alone go into the BIOS....

Cheers & thanks so far for the replies

Mike

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The Microsoft Article I linked to above explains how to enable Virtualization in the BIOS BUT it sounds like your driver didn't install properly so I would definitely try that again.

Reaction score
Cheers TM - had a quick look at the article and I'll give that a go tomorrow and then try to re-install the driver (tried several times so far).

Thanks

Mike

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I had thought of the hardware virtualization before I read that VMLite doesn't need it so I really do not believe that is your issue; it can't hurt to try it but I don't think it will change anything.

It definitely sounds like a driver situation. Where did you get the driver? Do you have a link where I can download it? Is it an exe or a zip file or what? See if there is an INF file in the unzipped folder. If so right-click on it and choose "Install".

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Make sure you were running these within the Virtual XP environment, not from windows 7. If your computer starts the CD automatically when you install it then it is likely running under W7, not in your virtual XP environment.

There is a Vista version and an XP version of the one item; be sure you have the XP version on your CD. (I wasn't thinking and downloaded the Vista version of the one that offers both.)

Running Scangear CS creates a folder c:\Canoscan\CNQ8000, go into that folder from your Virtual XP and right-click on CNQ8000.INF and choose Install. This should install your Twain drivers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I finally gave up. Been through everything again, changed the BIOS as previously discussed but finally decided I'd spent enough hours on it. I do think its something to do with the driver not being where it should be and probably someone with a bit more nouse could probably do it. I was going to get another printer so will probably get a multi function.

Thanks all for your efforts

Cheers

Mike

Ask a Question