Cannot write to folder on other computer in network

Reaction score
Hello:

Homegroup seems to work fine. On wife's computer, I see *my* computer's external hard drive, to which I want to back up an image (using Macrium Reflect). The drive/folder are set to be writeable (actually, all priviledges or whatever it is called) vy Everyone. But, I cannot do the imaging , neither can I drag files from my wife's computer to my computer's external hard drive.

My computer (destination) is Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, my wife's (source) Win 7 Ultimate 32 -bit. I have Norton Internet Security on both. Mine is set to Local Area Connection Trust Level:Shared (Full Trust) made no difference).

What can I be missing? Some password somewhere? I am at wits end.

Hans L

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is unlikely it is your Norton.

I suspect it is the permissions. This stuff is quite confusing so I may be wrong but I think the issue is that your wife's account does not exist on your computer and I believe "everyone" is just everyone on that (your) computer, not networked in accounts, too. Try adding your wife's userid as a valid user on your computer.

If that doesn't work I'm sure there must be a way with permissions but I would have to research it.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
When you go to Control Panel, Network, Homegroup, More sharing settings (or something similar), check the sharing settings for the individual network types. Often there is something here that overrides the individual folder sharing settings. I would set these to the most open and forgiving (and thus least secure) settings to see if it helps allow you to do what you need to do, and if it does, then you can adjust these settings one by one to get to where your settings reflect your desired security without affecting what you want to do.

Reaction score
Wife suddenly bought an iMac, so I will have to wait and check the connection with the old computer, which I will put in the basement. Thank you ... I have followed your advice as much as possible, and I will see later what happens.

Regards,

Hans L

Ask a Question