"Clean" Windows 7 OEM Install Possible?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am kind of anal about having a clean install of my OS on my computers without all of the bloat that my HP laptop came with. That being said I'm wondering if it is possible to download a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium OEM, that's what came on the laptop, and install that as a legit copy that can be activated with the OEM key that I have on a sticker on my laptop? I've read that it IS possible and others have said that it won't activate and that I can only use my restore disks. I really hope this isn't the case since I just don't feel right just uninstalled all the bloatware that my restore disks are loaded with! =P

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I believe you can do that. Some notebooks from Dell have the key located in the BIOS, so there's never an issue with those setups.

You should be able to find an OEM install disk of Home Premium in either 32-bit or 64-bit with SP1 integrated into it. These new install DVDs with SP1 save both time and hard drive space compared to installing SP1 separately.

If you have trouble finding the one you want let us know.

Reaction score
I won't sit here and say every PC will activate using the key on the OEM sticker. I will say I have not had any issues activating the PC's with the key from the OEM sticker. The name brand of PC's I have worked with are HP, Dell, and eMachine.

Reaction score
Is there a certain version of an OEM disk that I'd need to download? I have an HP and I also read that if the versions don't match up then that could be a problem as well? Or should any Home Premium OEM disk work?

I appreciate the help. =)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
My HP OEM sticker key didn't work, I can't say about the other OEM ones. Even SIW's reported key didn't work, which was the same as Belarc Advisor's key.

However, it's interesting to note that SIW reports 2 keys, all but the last 5 are listed as X's for obvious reasons.

7 Home Premium (prior to my Anytime Upgrade to Pro):
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-3Q629
Windows Default Product Key:
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XM76F

Neither is these keys is the same as what's on my OEM COA sticker. Which of these keys is the one to do a clean install with? With 3 sets of keys, it's a trial & error process. However, the 7 Home Premium key didn't work, neither.

Is it the Windows Default Product Key? I haven't tried that one yet.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
When I use SIW, I get two keys also. The first key is the one I purchased and the second one is default key ??, not sure about that one.

Are you saying the product key on the COA tag didn't work for you? That should work for you, but I have read that manufacturer OEM Windows 7 keys are different in that they must be called in to MS on a reinstall of the OS. They differ from the standard Windows 7 OEM key that comes with the OEM install disc and key for the "system builder" such as what one would purchase from Newegg, Amazon or their local store.

Edit: Found this tidbit on another webstie -
Basically the Windows software protection scheme requires a product key to work therefor to allow for the 30 days grace period an default Key is provided. this key provides time limited functionality.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's right, the key on the COA sticker was rejected. I rechecked and reentered it 2 times to make sure.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Did you try calling MS about this? Also from what I understand on certain manufacturer OEM builds, you HAVE to use their Windows 7 installation disk or it just won't fly... generally speaking.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
No, I didn't worry with it. I either used the recovery partition or recovery discs that I burned, and removed the junk with Revo Uninstaller Pro. After I became a TechNet member, I was furnished with plenty of keys to clean install with.

But prior to that, I did try to clean install, unsuccessfully. I do recall with Dell, I had to use their green labeled XP Pro SP2 reinstall discs (no key required, and no "crapware" either). The XP Pro SP2 install discs from TechNet would not work with the COA on those, either.

Cat

Ask a Question