Can W7-Pro utilize a 2nd. Internal Drive for Backup vs. an External Drive.

Reaction score
In the event of a failure of the C: Drive, I'd like to be able to replace it and do a Restore from an internal drive like D:.

Will W7-Pro allow this?

If so, any cautions or advice?

Reaction score
c: is a partition
if c: and d: partitions are on the same physical drive, and the drive fails, both of the partitions will fail

best practice is to use d: on the same physical drive in order to restore c: if c: is corrupted, not in the event of drive failure

it's common practice to use a restore partition on the same physical drive

best practice is to also back up the c: partition to an external drive

btw, also place your data on the d: drive. this way, when you restore the c: drive, you will not overwrite your data (documents, pictures, downloads, etc)

Reaction score
I believe you missed the point or I did not state what I was searching for very well!

I asked:

Can W7-Pro utilize a 2nd. Internal Drive for Backup vs. an External Drive.

Example: Drive C: is a Western Digital 1TB Drive, Drive D: is a Seagate 1TB Drive.

Both drives are the same size, both are NFTS.

My question is, will W7-Pro "FORCE" a user to utilize an External Drive only.

If so, is there any work around using Microsoft only Tools / Software.

Do not consider any third party software.

Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
i apologize for misreading your original post
'backup and restore' lists all available partitions for use as backup destinations, internal, and external
it doesn't discriminate
i'm wondering why you're wondering that win 7 will only want to use external drives
did you read that somewhere
there isn't any risk with this process. go through the motions of backup and restore, and see for yourself
you have nothing to lose

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
I will give it a try.
I was being frugal and lazy in asking the question.
Frugal as in not wanting to buy an additional drive to test with and lazy, not wanting to open the PC to install a drive when it might not work.
I will report back on my results.

Ask a Question